Not even JayMoyles' edge is worth this much

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts

Go down 
+11
masofdas
The Cappuccino Kid
JayMoyles
The_Jaster
Kriken
Muss
Treesmurf
Rum
Crumpy Andy
OrangeRakoon
Jimbob
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 12 EmptySun 5 Apr 2020 - 0:08

I'm not a big Resi fan - not a big horror fan tbh - but 3.5 hours? I'm seeing 6-10 hours from those that reviewed it. I can see why it will receive criticism for being shorter than RE2: Remake, but Capcom will be aware of PS5/Series X arriving later this year. That's my reason for why they may have "rushed" it, and I guess there's the option to drop extra content. Mas, do you think they will do RE4 next, or a spin-off one like Code Veronica or Zero?

I've just rolled credits on this bad boy...

Super Paper Mario:
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 12 EmptySun 5 Apr 2020 - 9:53

Interesting as I almsot cancelled my RE3 as reviews I read weren't great and most were saying 4-5hrs. I only really kept the pre-order as being home for 3 weeks wanted something new to play also it's Res Evil and I easily just sold it on eBay where I actually made £4 profit.

RE4 would be the next logical one if going for another remake but I think we see Res Evil 8 next.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 12 EmptySun 5 Apr 2020 - 12:47

@Balla, I played Digimon years ago m8, don’t go making claims that we don’t care 😉

I play too much to be arsed posting here most of the time, but I have to say I was very impressed with Castlevania Symphony of the Night. I’d never played it before but that game hasn’t aged a day. Brilliant from start to finish and I’d have happily played it far longer. 9/10

Check it out if you’ve never gotten around to it.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 12 EmptySun 5 Apr 2020 - 21:33

A rare correct Andy opinion. He's growing, people, he's growing. Grin

I finished Pikuniku!

Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 12 KYBD__.0

I picked this up for the princely sum of 89p so I didn't have much to lose, but I must say I enjoyed my time with this.

You play as that red fella in the middle of the picture I linked. Your goal is to help the weird and wonderful inhabitants of the world by stopping a sinister company utilising robots to harvest all the natural resources of the world. The plot sounds much heavier than it actually is - the writing is irreverent and quirky throughout, but it's never annoying. I did wonder if the goofy sense of humour would wear on me, but the silliness of the writing held up, but your mileage may very.

The platforming is perfectly fine, if not a little finicky at bits. Your jump is somewhat floaty and it can be difficult to land some of the trickier jumps. The game also relies on you pushing various objects onto switches in some areas, and I found the physics of these objects to be a bit wonky. However, the game wasn't frustrating and some of the mechanics the game introduces, like a grapple hook style swinging mechanics, are very satisfying and makes traversing each level to be enjoyable.

For 89p, it was well worth my time and was a fine little game. 7/10.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 12 EmptyTue 7 Apr 2020 - 0:43

Gone Home

Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 12 Gone-home-entryway

I picked this up for free on the critically acclaimed and widely adored Epic Store.

Perhaps I'm playing it at the wrong time given how narrative has improved since 2013, but I'm struggling to see what the fuss is about with this one. Wandering around an empty house finding notes is nothing new - opening drawers and rotating items definitely put me back in my Shenmue nostalgia zone. I just feel that Shenmue's world felt more captivating thirteen years earlier and Life is Strange nailed the whole "reliving your teenage years if you were a teenage girl in suburban America" a thousand times better than Gone Home.

It seems all the reviews I'm reading after completing it (it was only 2 hours long) pertain to American writers feeling or recognising the characters portrayed in it. Graphically, and particularly gameplay-wise, it's barely a game but I can see its influence on titles that followed (ie. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture and the aforementioned Life is Strange). This just felt too barebones an experience.

4/10
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 12 EmptyTue 7 Apr 2020 - 9:02

Not often you see Andy right about something and gJones being wrong.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 12 EmptyTue 7 Apr 2020 - 11:07

That's a fair review of cyber sleuth balla - glad that you got past those difficulty spikes!
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 12 EmptyTue 7 Apr 2020 - 19:54

Woo, people do care! Dance Yep, I remember a couple of absolutely brutal bosses: the penultimate chapter boss proper springs to mind.  Turned it down like a shot for that. Then the final boss was a walkover!

Glad to see GJones enjoying SPM too.  8.5 perhaps feels a bit kind to me: a lot of the 'aren't games ridiculous sometimes' moments turned into... well, into the game being ridiculous itself.  That said, you're bang on about the humour and the script.  Those games were so well written: I really do miss that era.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/ Online
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 12 EmptyWed 8 Apr 2020 - 20:51

I still have really fond memories of Super Paper Mario, I think I need to give it another play through but a 8.5 sounds bang on from what I remember.

Curious to see how Gone Home compares to something like Edith Finch as I've often heard the two mentioned together, perhaps should have played Gone Home first from the sounds of it to avoid disappointing comparisons.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 12 EmptySat 11 Apr 2020 - 23:19

Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 12 WCW-nWo+Revenge+(Europe)-image

Out Of Print Archive uploaded Issue 22 of N64 Magazine, one of the very few issues of N64 Magazine that I didn’t buy. It’s typically good stuff, though I momentarily stopped at their review of WCW/NWO Revenge ( https://www.outofprintarchive.com/articles/reviews/N64/WCWvsNWORevenge-N64mag22-4.html ). Mark Green concludes his review by stating “so, go and buy WWF Warzone instead, do you hear?”. Hmm. 

That called for me to fire WCW/NWO Revenge on, and complete the Championship modes for both the Tag Team and World Heavyweight Championships. I hadn’t done this in years, and I wasn’t surprised that I had just as much fun in April 2020 as I did in November 1998. As a photograph of WCW at it’s very best, I think Revenge is truly exquisite. Nostalgia is a factor, aye, but I haven’t tired of the simple-to-master gameplay, the stacked roster, the canny reversals, none of it. It’s a brilliant middle ground between the sheer mentalness of stuff like WWF In Your House and the funeral dirge that is the WWE 2K series. If you’ve played it, you completely understand what I’m talking about. WWF No Mercy and Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 get the plaudits, but Revenge is as fun. 75%, my hoop. 9/10.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 12 EmptySun 12 Apr 2020 - 15:57

LOVED Revenge. It was the first game I bought with my own money - at £49.99 it still managed to be worth every penny. Always found it odd that N64 Magazine were so off the mark with their wrestling reviews because Warzone and Attitude were horrible games. Nobody could pull off the actual moves in the Acclaim games, due to ridiculous combo combinations - they were designed like traditional fighting games. World Tour and Revenge felt like wrestling games with their big, chunky characters and the fact you had to grab the opponent before doing a move on them. The roster on Revenge was immense, looking back. Although I usually used AKI/THQ Man - wasn't Suicide based on that character in TNA? I might go back myself and give Revenge a bash - I had a lot of time for that game. A lot of my friends who had no interest in wrestling put hours into Revenge's multiplayer too.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 12 EmptySun 12 Apr 2020 - 18:00

I'm not sure if Suicide was based off of AKI Man, I've never heard that before though. I think all those fictional wrestlers were just made for fun, but they retain the moveset and characteristics of wrestlers that had already been developed for Virtual Pro Wrestling 64, such as Mitsuharu Misawa, Jun Akiyama and Akira Taue. They just couldn't be called that, or feature those likenesses and All Japan Pro Wrestling license, of course.

Revenge is well worth giving a bash.  Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
Kriken
Layton's Apprentice
Kriken

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 12 EmptySun 12 Apr 2020 - 19:51

Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze. Feels weird to have played through all the Donkey Kong Country games now. It's another great entry in the series, but I didn't find myself quite as obsessed with it like I was with Returns (which I beat on Wii and then more fully beat on 3DS right after). I tried to collect Kong letters when I could but I don't have a great deal of the collectables, and at the moment I don't really fancy going back through the game to get them all. Have other stuff I wanna play.

Also had a re-playthrough of Sacred Stones, Eirika's route. Did plan on doing the other one but I think I've also had a fill of this game too. In the series, it's just pretty okay, and I want to get to the Tellius series.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 12 EmptyMon 13 Apr 2020 - 12:35

I'm... glad you enjoyed DKCTF, Kriken? I think? Hope you loved the soundtrack at least.
Back to top Go down
Kriken
Layton's Apprentice
Kriken

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 12 EmptyMon 13 Apr 2020 - 14:27

"it's another great entry in the series"
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 12 EmptyMon 13 Apr 2020 - 14:52

Yes, but the rest of the post made that feel like damning with faint praise. Anyway, if you did enjoy it then that's the important thing!
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 12 EmptyMon 13 Apr 2020 - 20:36

Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 12 Kdl1ussmall

This is a fun little platformer - emphasis on the word 'little'. At 5 stages it's a short affair, but it's a good game to perfect and it took me a few goes. Getting your head around the flying concept (losing the ability to fly when Kirby's taken a breath) takes some adjusting but I like that it's half-jumpy, half-shooty. I'm sure many on here have played this but I'm playing some Kirby in between bouts of Donkey Kong Country Returns, which is ruddy concrete in comparison.

7/10
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 12 EmptyMon 13 Apr 2020 - 22:16

Kriken wrote:

Also had a re-playthrough of Sacred Stones, Eirika's route. Did plan on doing the other one but I think I've also had a fill of this game too. In the series, it's just pretty okay, and I want to get to the Tellius series.

Have you played the Tellius FE games before, Kriken? I'm jealous of you if you've not!
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Kriken
Layton's Apprentice
Kriken

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 12 EmptyMon 13 Apr 2020 - 23:19

I guess to give more context to my feelings on Tropical Freeze, while I thought it was great and an improvement over Returns in some ways - like the bosses seem better, more dynamic and interactive, and all the bonuses stages are different in some little way - it didn't have nearly as much as an impact on me. It's like a Galaxy-Galaxy 2 kind of thing - the latter is often considered the better game, but the former is more beloved because it had a fresher and more memorable impact.

Another thing is that I played DKC Returns on Dolphin at 1080p. It looked really nice. While Tropical Freeze looks better in some ways, it was the 720p Wii U version I was playing. So I wasn't as wowed by the improved visuals.

While I haven't explored the unlockable levels yet, it felt like the 'base' game of Tropical Freeze was easier than Returns. There were fewer mine cart levels which are the ones I really enjoyed and could be brutal. The rocket-barrel levels were made a lot easier too with you being able to take an additional hit - probably a reasonable change but I dunno, I kind of missed how brutal they were. Really felt accomplished when I got through them.

As for the music... It's good. Did have my noisy niece and nephew in the room while I was playing most of the game so that may have made it hard to appreciate at times, but honestly from what I caught of it I think, at least at this moment, I preferred the music in Returns. It did lean heavily on remixes which I was a bit internally critical of, but they were some really good remixes.

Then I also had a considerable amount of hype going into the game, since I really liked Returns and I was hearing from people that Tropical Freeze is even better. It might be, and my feelings on it may change in future when I play it more (and play more of it), but yeah I'd have to say I did have more fun on Returns.

JayMoyles wrote:
Have you played the Tellius FE games before, Kriken? I'm jealous of you if you've not!
Not yet. Looking forward to them.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Galactic Nova
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 12 EmptyTue 14 Apr 2020 - 8:30

Pokemon Black

Kinda. I've finished it as much as I did back in the day, which is to say I beat the Elite Four and the final showdown with N and Ghetsis.
I remember that if I go back to the Elite Four now, I can re-challenge them at much higher levels. I think originally I bounced off at this point and never really went back. This time, I've started the quest to retrace my steps through the game, do the stuff I missed and round up the baddies. Hopefully this will be enough grinding for the final battle. So proper thoughts when I've done that.

That all being said . . . I've said got my Pokemon Y sat there wanting to be played . . .
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 12 EmptyThu 16 Apr 2020 - 18:59

Kriken wrote:
I guess to give more context to my feelings on Tropical Freeze, while I thought it was great and an improvement over Returns in some ways - like the bosses seem better, more dynamic and interactive, and all the bonuses stages are different in some little way - it didn't have nearly as much as an impact on me. It's like a Galaxy-Galaxy 2 kind of thing - the latter is often considered the better game, but the former is more beloved because it had a fresher and more memorable impact.

Ah, see I never had that. Maybe because, er, I didn't find DKCR that memorable. Shifty I understand it though.

Kriken wrote:
While I haven't explored the unlockable levels yet, it felt like the 'base' game of Tropical Freeze was easier than Returns. There were fewer mine cart levels which are the ones I really enjoyed and could be brutal. The rocket-barrel levels were made a lot easier too with you being able to take an additional hit - probably a reasonable change but I dunno, I kind of missed how brutal they were. Really felt accomplished when I got through them.

I did have this actually. In retrospect it's probably good for my heart, but I did feel like the brutal barrel bits were more rewarding in Returns.

Kriken wrote:
As for the music... It's good. Did have my noisy niece and nephew in the room while I was playing most of the game so that may have made it hard to appreciate at times, but honestly from what I caught of it I think, at least at this moment, I preferred the music in Returns. It did lean heavily on remixes which I was a bit internally critical of, but they were some really good remixes.

Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 12 EmptyFri 17 Apr 2020 - 13:15

Some good stuff getting finished lately. I liked Tropical Freeze and Pokemon Black a lot, and I've got a huge soft spot for Kirby's Dream Land, seeing as it was the first game I ever played!

~

Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 12 51P83FEP8AL._AC_

Completed the Career Mode in Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 on PlayStation. I know you can unlock Spiderman and a load of other characters, cheats and secrets if you finish it over and over again, but one time will do me. That’s because it was well harder than I remembered! I thought I was going to blast through this in one cosy afternoon - no chance, it took me many hours and many tries! That’ll just be because I’m rubbish at it though.

Anyway, happily, it’s still a quality game. The things that probably earned it its 98% Metacritic score - like the Park Editor, Create-A-Skater and the new tricks to boost your combos - don’t really stand out anymore, but the level design and their goals still do. The gameplay is classic stuff - demanding yet varied, and always fun. The soundtrack was never better. It fitted the two-minute gameplay formula perfectly, and it’s almost definitely the greatest licensed soundtrack that has ever featured in a computer game (asides from Rock Band and that, natch). 

Tony’s Hawk’s Pro Skater 3 on the PS2 was always my preferred game in the series, and I lost interest when it started becoming all about Bam Margera fannying about in a golf buggy. Yet returning to 2 - a much purer and tighter game, and before they started running out of ideas - made for a superb playthrough. Still stands up, 8/10.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 12 EmptyFri 17 Apr 2020 - 13:27

THPS2 was incredible. I haven't played it recently but did play THPS3 on a PS2 emulator, and that has held up really well. You're right about the 2-minute spells of pure joy, with the perfect soundtrack to boot. I owned it on the Dreamcast at the time and recall it being the best version (it looked slightly better if anything). Not sure it deserves the crazy Metacritic score it has, but that's due to it getting 10/10s at the time (and rightly so). I was always curious about the Xbox version which I don't believe arrived in the UK, but 2 is definitely my favourite (3 probably being the better game).
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 12 EmptyFri 17 Apr 2020 - 15:17

I think 3 is the best, but both are fantastic and genuinely hold up - they deserve it when they're included in top 100 games lists and the like
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 12 EmptyFri 17 Apr 2020 - 18:57

I'd been keeping an eye out for the Dreamcast version of Tony Hawk's 2, but never come across it. I've had the N64 version since the days where the GameCube was current, and while it's the same basic game, it's a big step back from this PlayStation version. I've heard about the XBox one, but haven't seen or tried it. The Game Boy Advance has a pretty good version of Tony Hawk's 2. It's everywhere.

Glad to see that others think they hold up too.  Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 12 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts
Page 12 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next