Not even JayMoyles' edge is worth this much

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread

Go down 
+11
gjones
Buskalilly
Treesmurf
The_Jaster
oldschool
ZeroJones
Crumpy Andy
masofdas
JayMoyles
Admin
Balladeer
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 8 EmptyMon 28 Nov 2016 - 18:41

Black Friday/Pokémon GO has worked in everyone's favour! Grin The best launch of any Nintendo game in the UK is really something, though, given the incredible games on more popular systems that the company have released over the years. It's also a pretty good game... er, I gather. Embarrassed
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 8 EmptyMon 28 Nov 2016 - 19:12

Tremendous news! Glad that (apparent) quality has sold - although as Zero says, it's more likely due to savvy timing than because the games are actually good.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Buskalilly
Galactic Nova
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 8 EmptyMon 28 Nov 2016 - 22:28

If games being good affected sales, Tites wouldn't be so far behind Batters and COD.

Also, I seem to remember mentioning this when Go first came out and being met with incredulity.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 8 EmptyTue 29 Nov 2016 - 18:33

Drunka is right as Nintendo wouldn't have to step in and fund Bayonetta 2 (hopefully BG&E2) as if it was on the quality we would had Bayo 2 years.

That I think Pokemon S&M was right time right place and Titanfall 2 was wrong time wrong place.

I don't if we can have the Go effect with Run, comes out December then in January Nintendo shows of 3D Mario and can build on the mobile market.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 8 EmptyTue 29 Nov 2016 - 19:51

Maybe Titanfall 2 will have a long tail?
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 8 EmptyThu 1 Dec 2016 - 14:12

Pokemon S&M have now become the best selling Nintendo games in the USA and they're up 85% over X&Y.

Also Final Fantasy XV has sold 5 million units day one, making it the most successful Final Fantasy ever on launch but along way to go for that rumored 10m mark Square Enix want.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 8 EmptyThu 1 Dec 2016 - 21:43

There's still time for those extra sales to accrue - particularly if it's released on the Switch. Cheeky
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 8 EmptyFri 2 Dec 2016 - 10:11

Yeah I know a few people were waiting for reviews as with a 10 year wait it could have been bad.

Yeah more will come but history has taught us anything around 80% of the sales will be on PS4 and I just can't see it doing 8 million on PS4 as only 3 games have done that FIFA 16, GTAV and Black Ops 3.

I can see it coming to PC and I hope it does come to Switch as their were rumours of a ultimate edition for the Switch but that was awhile ago and I feel likes of LKD would have try to find out if that is true or not.

Also not sure what would make it Ultimate as the rumoured specs (and logic) of the Switch wouldn't make it the version on a console to be 4K 60FPS with high textures, I guess it would be more of a Game of the Year edition with all the DLC and come out on everything again at the same time.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 8 EmptyWed 7 Dec 2016 - 16:41

I was right about the split in number of FFXV.

Anyway the PS4 just after its 3rd birthday has past the 50m making the 7th best selling console being just ahead of the SNES and only 11m behind the NES.

With a total of 369.6 million games sold to date giving a attach rate of 7.4 games per console sold.

The PS2 at this point had done 69m meaning the PS4 is no longer out-pacing the PS2.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 8 EmptyThu 12 Jan 2017 - 17:00

End of year numbers are out and 2016 is down compared to 2015 in the UK but lets talk how everyone did based on units and revenue for physical games.

System Units Revenue
PS4 45% 48.2%
One 34.1% 36.3%
3DS 7% 6%
360 5.2% 3.3%
PS3 2.9% 1.8%
Wii U 2.5% 2.1%
PC 2.3% 1.7%
Wii 0.5% 0.2%
VITA 0.4% 0.2%
DS 0.1 N/A

Units - Sony total 48.4%, Microsoft 39.3%, Nintendo 10.1%
Revenue - Sony total 50.2%, Microsoft total 39.6%, Nintendo total 8.3%

Based on Publishers EA is top dog with 22.1% games being sold from them, Nintendo was 4th with 8.2%, Sony 6th with 7.1%, Microsoft in 8th with 6.2% and in 20th Little Orbit with 0.3%.

On the games front
FIFA 17 was the best selling game of 2016
Highest remaster is GTAV at number 5
Uncharted 4 is the highest exclusive game on any system in 6th overall and Sony has 4 games in the Top 50, also a sort of exclusive is in the Top 50
The highest Microsoft game is Forza Horizon 3 in at number 10 and MS has 4 games in the Top 50, also one of the Sony games is MS property
The highest Nintendo game is Pokemon Sun at 21st and Nintendo has 2 games in the the Top 50, I wonder what the other game is Suspect
The 50th best selling game was Deus Ex Mankind Divide

Overwatch was 9th, Final Fantasy XV was 24th, Titanfall 2 was 27th, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege was 31st, PES 2017 didn't make the top 50

Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 8 EmptyThu 12 Jan 2017 - 18:59

FIFA being #1 and PES not cracking the Top 50 isn't surprising, and is a real shame to be honest. FIFA sold 40 times more than PES when they first released and I can see PES being forced out of the market eventually.

The thing is, I had a NYE party two weeks back and had PES set up in the front room - people who owned FIFA were loving PES (granted I had the licenses patch on) but they will always buy FIFA because of the licenses and it's the only game they play. There aren't many people who will buy 2 football games, especially on an annual basis so they go for the easy option. Most of them hadn't played PES since the PS2 days so unless PES offers something different, I'm not sure how they will keep releasing them. There's definitely an international flavour to PES and it's popular in mainland Europe but I think FIFA is too. Tough times ahead...
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 8 EmptySat 21 Jan 2017 - 11:36

I wanted to talk about Salezzz but also this is a bit of random thought as well.

Anyway some positive Nintendo Switch news even the stock maybe down, the NS seems the 2 Million launch units be sold out everywhere which incudes which opened preorders yesterday where Amazon JPN sold out in 15mins and stores made be wait in line to get a raffle ticket to maybe win the opportunity to buy a Nintendo Switch.

With reports people selling their winning tickets along with reports that the preorder numbers in Japan for the Swicth is enough to out-sale the Xbox One's lifetime sales in the region.

Add to that Reggie hinting at Monster Hunter and Yo-Kai are coming to the Switch, Nintendo could have a big hit on their hands in Japan.

Now I want to talk Xbox One and the following may make me sound like a Nintendo-Fanboy. Anyway you may have seen or you may haven't due to the negativeness aimed at Nintendo and the Switch from gaming personalties and media instead of seeing some Xbox One news on numbers.

A group of data analysts have worked out by NPD's etc that the Xbox One has sold in 3 years, 26 million SKU's which isn't a bad number as the original Xbox did the same number in 4 years and the Xbox 360 at 3 years was on about 25 million (with a year head start) and the 360 went on to do 86 million.

It seems rather consistent for the Xbox systems, but we also know Microsoft have closed studios such as Lionhead with rumours Rare could be on the chopping block next, games such as Phantom Dust, Scalebound have been cancelled and MS have very few studios in their portfolio now to turn out exclusives and Mr Spencer saying they aren't in the busy any more to pay for exclusives.

The other elephant in the room is Scorpio a system to go beyond generations, which far as we know will be the Xbox version of the Pro and all Xbox platforms which includes PC will play the same games bu slightly differently and that is the Xbox plan going forward.

Some however believe the Scorpio will just be a new console from MS to start a fresh and it will be fully backwards compatible and some games will work on both to keep fans happy.

So we have a system doing okay numbers compared to its brethren but now has lack of exclusives in the works, could get replaced by Scorpio and getting obliterated by the main competition.

Yet all people want to talk about how the Switch will be a flop like the Wii U and Nintendo have lost their marbles, yet Xbox seems to get a free pass and in comparison to the PS4 is a flop, especially if the Scorpio is a new new console.

Drunka said years ago he thought the Xbox One would come last after the initial unveiling and he may have got that wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if he's right about it now.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 8 EmptySat 21 Jan 2017 - 12:54

It's because Microsoft make proper consoles for proper gamers, instead of the childish, casual rubbish that Nintendo release.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 8 EmptySat 21 Jan 2017 - 12:58

I think you may have summed it up, Zero.

The only other thing I can think of is taking from like of Colin Moriarty is Nintendo has this history and people want them to succeed, yet they look at them and go you're a bunch idiots Nintendo and then they talk about them.

Where Xbox doesn't have that.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 8 EmptyWed 1 Feb 2017 - 18:24

Wii U is now officially Nintendo's worst selling home console ever, as production has now ceased worldwide, with the Wii U currently sitting on 13.56 million units sold.

Of course their may be more Wii Us in warehouses to be shipped out, but those may have been included in the 13.56m. The best selling game on Wii U is Mario Kart 8 with 8.26m units sold and total amount of software sold at 96.52m, that's a attach rate of 7.12 games per Wii U.

The 3DS currently stands at 65.3m units sold with a total of 320.96m units of software sold, which is attach rate of only 4.92 games per 3DS. The best selling game is Pokemon X/Y at 16.06m.

This makes the Wii U as the 21st best selling systems overall just below the VITA & above the GameGear or the 15th best selling home console just below the GameCube & above the Dreamcast or Saturn (numbers vary on these two).

Nintendo in total has sold over 700,000,000 systems, that's an average of 70m per system. Over 4,474,470,000 units of software has been sold on their systems which is a attach rate average of 6.4 games per console sold.

Keeping on systems sold Sony has recently sold it's 500,000,000 PlayStation system, that's an average of 84m per system. Over 13,025,000,000 units of software has been sold on their systems which is a attach rate average of 26.05 games per system.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 8 EmptyThu 2 Feb 2017 - 9:32

That average attach rate difference
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 8 EmptyThu 2 Feb 2017 - 10:52

It's fantastically high, isn't it? I wonder why that could be...
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 8 EmptyThu 2 Feb 2017 - 13:08

Numbers don't match VGChartz? http://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/Tie-Ratio/Global/
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 8 EmptyThu 2 Feb 2017 - 16:08

Mine are correct and I can explain why.

The Wii U and 3DS numbers are from the end of year financial report, which was published this week.

How I've got a overall one for Nintendo is Nintendo's report has the numbers for NES/Famicom, SNES/Super Famicom, N64, GB/GBC, GBA, GameCube, DS, Wii, 3DS and Wii U, I've added up the number of systems sold which is 700,000,000 and the amount of software which is 4,474,470,000 then I've divided the amount of software by the amount of systems which gives you a ratio 6.4 games per system.

As Sony also released numbers of them selling there 500th million system, I thought it be fun to do the same as I did it with Nintendo that I added up how much software has been sold on PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP and VITA which is 13,025,000,000 then divide by how many systems which gives you a ratio of 26.05 games per system sold.

26.05 games x 500,000,000 systems = 13,025,000,000 total software sales.

I can bring you more numbers if you wish like Sony having a a higher Q4 revenue just from PSN then Nintendo had all year from everything or that 9.7m PS4's were sold in Q4 2016 which is Sony's best ever Quarter which was held previously by the PS2 with 8.8m back in 2003.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 8 EmptyThu 2 Feb 2017 - 17:00

I think your total software sales for PS is way out, VGChartz roughly agrees on hardware but the software sales add up to 4,322,000,000 - which is an attach rate of around 8.6. That sounds more reasonable?

Where did you get the PS software sales numbers?
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 8 EmptyThu 2 Feb 2017 - 17:31

Yeah you are right its 4,400,000,000 (due to Sony announcing over 400m units of software has been sold on PS4) which would be a ratio of 8.8.

I looked at the wrong number I was looking at games Embarrassed

Last edited by masofdas on Thu 2 Feb 2017 - 22:51; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 8 EmptyThu 2 Feb 2017 - 19:37

*sigh of relief*
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 8 EmptyFri 3 Feb 2017 - 10:41

Fair enough mas! It's all interesting - I wouldn't have known any of it had you not posted, the super large difference just seemed strange. From looking at it I think the lower attach rate for Nintendo on average is due to Nintendo having more handhelds, which seem to have lower ratios as a general rule.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 8 EmptyMon 6 Mar 2017 - 14:53

UK Chart

The Switch shifted 80,000 on launch in the UK to put that in perspective the Wii U did about 40k, Wii 105k, 3DS 113K, Xbox One 150k and the record holder PS4 250k.

The Top 10 looks like this:

1 Horizon: Zero Dawn
2 The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
3 Grand Theft Auto V
4 1-2-Switch
5 For Honor
6 FIFA 17
7 Super Bomberman R
8 Rocket League
9 Sniper Elite 4
10 Battlefield 1

Horizon became the biggest new IP debut for the PS4 ever and comfortably took 1st in the chart and also the best week one sales this year for any game and the PS4's best exclusive week one sales since Uncharted 4.

Zelda which took second, ranks as the third biggest Zelda launch ever behind Wind Waker and Twilight Princess with 78 per cent of the game’s sales being for Switch and 22 per cent for Wii U. Zelda also accounted for 75 per cent of all total Switch software sales, I'm going to have a guess that Zelda sold 80,0000 units on Switch (Around 102k including Wii U) meaning the rest of the games sold 20k combined, then divide that amongst the rest means even though 1-2-Switch is 4th it may have not sold that many units also makes the UK chart numbers not look that great.

You may have guessed as well that the individual chart has Horizon in at first and the Switch version of Zelda in second place and the Wii U version in third place which may have only been 22k units.

No 1 PS4 game Horizon Zero Dawn and 1st on All-Format & Individual
No 1 Switch game The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and 2nd on All-Format (Does include Wii U) & Individual
No 1 Xbox One game Grand Theft Auto V (Exclusive Forza Horizon 3 at 16th in All-Format (Halo Wars 2 does place one higher at 15th in All-Format) & 14th individual) at 7th in individual and 3rd in All-Format (Does include PS4, PS3, 360, PC)
No 1 Wii U game The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and 2nd on All-Format (Does include Switch) & 3rd on Individual
No 1 PS3 game FIFA 17 doesn't chart on individual
No 1 360 game FIFA 17 doesn't chart on individual
No 1 Wii game Just Dance 2017 doesn't chart in individual
No 1 3DS game Pokemon Sun and 22nd on All-Format & 25th on Individual
No 1 VITA game Root Letter doesn't chart on individual
No 1 DS game Rooms: The Main Building doesn't chart on individual
No 1 PSP game Me & My Katamari doesn't chart on individual
No 1 PC game The Sims 4 doesn't chart on individual

Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 8 EmptyTue 7 Mar 2017 - 16:13

That was the UK but lets talk elsewhere and how the Switch has done at launch.

In the USA it has become Nintendo's best hardware launch ever over a two day period and Zelda has beat out SM64 to be the best selling launch game as well (that isn't a pack in).

In Japan the Switch has done 313,700 which in comparison to Wii U: 308,600, Wii: 371,900, PS4: 322,100 is rather good seeing most of those came out during the holiday period.

In the rest of Europe the Switch is also the best selling Nintendo system ever at launch and Zelda is the best selling title as well beating out Wii Sports.

I find it interesting in Europe they're counting Wii Sports and Zelda beating it and in the USA they are not, I would think Wii Sports likely did better numbers in USA & Nintendo are putting a positive spin on it.

The main thing also to takeaway is this is March not November, so it's great news but also remember you couldn't get a Wii that if you could have got one would that still be Number One.

Last edited by masofdas on Tue 7 Mar 2017 - 16:40; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 8 Empty

Back to top Go down

The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread
Page 8 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12 ... 17  Next