Where we remember the Battle of the Alarmo

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

"R.I.P CVG, You deserved much better"

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

"R.I.P CVG, You deserved much better" Empty
PostSubject: "R.I.P CVG, You deserved much better"   "R.I.P CVG, You deserved much better" EmptySat 28 Mar 2015 - 16:55

This should hopefully speak for itself: https://storify.com/tamoorh/r-i-p-cvg

Like with Scullion's latest blog post, it's clearly a dig at GamesRadar+, and what Future Management has done for the transition.

A lot of food for thought in there, and I think it raises a good point about how badly the transition from CVG/Edge/OXM etc. was handled. Had you not been "in the know" you wouldn't have had a clue that the sites were moving to GamesRadar+.

As for GR+, I quite like it. Yes, the list features aren't great, but the website is well laid out (same goes for the mobile version) and it's got good content on it. I'm just not very happy with how Future has handled things, and how they are literally putting all their eggs in one basket now.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: "R.I.P CVG, You deserved much better"   "R.I.P CVG, You deserved much better" EmptySun 29 Mar 2015 - 9:41

Tam's obviously bitter about what happened, but I think he makes good points.

For a start, I reckon that a lot of CVG's readers (and there were a lot) will do what I've done, and simply not transfer.  I browsed the original GamesRadar when I was younger, and quickly got sick of it - the new one sounds even worse.  I've never been on there, apart from by accident, trying to get into CVG as it died.

Then there's the apparent deletion of everything, including the CVG fora.  A few weeks ago, everyone was up in arms over IS destroying ancient cultural artefacts.  This is the Internet equivalent.  (Not saying that CVG's journalism is quite as "timeless" as those artefacts, but it's the UK's oldest gaming brand.  Sorry, was.)

And finally, there's the general handling of the affair.  Whatever you think of GR+, and indeed of CVG, it's pretty much impossible to defend Future.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: "R.I.P CVG, You deserved much better"   "R.I.P CVG, You deserved much better" EmptySun 29 Mar 2015 - 10:39

I don't have a problem with GamesRadar+; the current staff level are almost back up to the Golden Generation of 5 years ago (the internet's equivalent of the Greener/Jes/Kittsy/Geraint/Weaver/Madrell N64 era). And it's certainly not their fault the way things have been organised - the suits (see a previous rant) usually cock this up.
The sad truth is that, in this day and age, having separate websites for the different mags etc. just isn't viable; an article on a videogame is mostly written by one person for multiple outlets anyway. But that doesn't mean I wanted to see CVG go, and chucking the staff out wasn't sensible. Other sites get by having more, wider spread content.
I will say that GR+ still needs a tidy-up. The've added TV/Film bits from SFX etc., and you can filter things to just see TV etc., but not "just games". And I do agree with the comments above in that, in GamesMaster, the editor gave out a GM-specific URL; this is in no way apparent on the main site itself.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: "R.I.P CVG, You deserved much better"   "R.I.P CVG, You deserved much better" EmptySat 4 Apr 2015 - 11:13

CVG did deserve better: it was a massive part of UK gaming culture for a very long time and has been allowed to disappear by dollar-chasing buffoons. Yes, 'buffoons' - I am very annoyed. Winky Face

As for GamesRadar, I see nothing that it does to elevate itself out of the pack of other websites that cover multiple media. Yet.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: "R.I.P CVG, You deserved much better"   "R.I.P CVG, You deserved much better" EmptySat 4 Apr 2015 - 12:43

Pretty sure its thing is list features... I've been enjoying Joe Skrebels ones though, funny stuff.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: "R.I.P CVG, You deserved much better"   "R.I.P CVG, You deserved much better" EmptySat 4 Apr 2015 - 12:50

Are they hit-churning ones, where each item (or pair of items) is on a new page? Chris Scullion has something to say about that.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: "R.I.P CVG, You deserved much better"   "R.I.P CVG, You deserved much better" EmptyWed 6 May 2015 - 21:42

Hard to disagree with any of the sentiments here.

I hunted down this thread again because I'm really missing CVG, mainly as a good news source that covered nearly everything important, and covered it well, moreso when all the Future mags were under its umbrella.

Only a smattering are left with GR+, but most importantly it's a bit too clickbait-y. I definitely agree that Joe's list features are excellent, though.

I don't have a problem with everything being under the same umbrella either. I thought NGamer's stuff was stronger when it was part of CVG, compared with how it all worked as a blog under Nintendo Gamer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "R.I.P CVG, You deserved much better"   "R.I.P CVG, You deserved much better" Empty

Back to top Go down

"R.I.P CVG, You deserved much better"
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GNamer Forum :: Gaming Miscellaneous :: GNamer Gaming News-
Jump to: