Where we remember the Battle of the Alarmo

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What are you playing on your Switch?

Go down 
+18
Athrun888
shanks
The_Jaster
masofdas
OrangeRakoon
Treesmurf
Kriken
EofGizmo
fronkhead
NintenDUCK
Rum
kerr9000
Solve My Maze
Crumpy Andy
The Cappuccino Kid
Jimbob
JayMoyles
ZeroJones
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 36 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 36 EmptyTue 8 Sep 2020 - 20:30

JayMoyles wrote:
You've made it past the worst bit of the OG trilogy and besides a small dip in AA3, you're in for a great time ahead of you. Enjoy the last case of JfA!

I'm looking forward to a bit of this:

Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 36 EmptyThu 10 Sep 2020 - 17:31

Edgey, what a hero.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 36 EmptyThu 10 Sep 2020 - 18:40

That is ridiculous and terrible and kinda makes me want to play the first game again? Just to experience Proper Bastard Edgeworth again. Anyway, well struggled Rum - that case was grim. You now get your reward.

I've picked up Spiritfarer. I've got no shortage of other stuff to play on my own, but I thought the gentle themes of the game might be something to share with The Lady... and also I don't want to be crying all by myself if Crumpy's correct. Sad
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Buskalilly
Galactic Nova
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 36 EmptyFri 11 Sep 2020 - 10:48

This is very telling of our attitude to prosecutors, because when I replay the original I'm looking for the goodness in Edgey the whole time and just waiting for his face turn, and genuinely feeling a little sad when he's being more Karma-like.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 36 EmptyFri 11 Sep 2020 - 19:33

Yep! That said, I don't think I'd appreciate bastard Edgey so much if I didn't know he had his redemption arc to come. You're breaking him down so you can build him back up.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 36 EmptyTue 15 Sep 2020 - 9:44

Balladeer wrote:
I've picked up Spiritfarer.  I've got no shortage of other stuff to play on my own, but I thought the gentle themes of the game might be something to share with The Lady... and also I don't want to be crying all by myself if Crumpy's correct. Sad

I did this too (except on my computer). Just been watching my girlfriend play it and we're enjoying it so far. The presentation is off the charts good, visually and audibly. I don't really have any initial criticisms at this point. Perhaps the game might drag a little bit going forward, it's a bit of a slow burner, but that's baked into it's mechanical and narrative ethos so until I get bored I can't really mark it down for that.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 36 EmptyTue 15 Sep 2020 - 16:16

I'm now starting to worry that I'm losing her with the slow pace. No I'm meant to be the impatient one!

As for me on my tod, I'm back into Ni No Kuni and being frustrated with almost everything the game does... but I don't mind because it's beautiful and charming and there's a bit in an emotional scene where Drippy wears a frilly hat in the background. That said, I'm dying an awful lot and my new party member isn't helping much. Oh, and Oliver needs to shut his mouth forever.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 36 EmptyTue 15 Sep 2020 - 16:18

Just get Oliver the big spell that makes combat irrelevant and then be bored instead of frustrated.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 36 EmptyTue 15 Sep 2020 - 16:28

Laughing Regular as clockwork.  I'm actually impressed - two minutes from NNK comment to Crumping!

In case it isn't clear, I'm still enjoying it a lot. That charm (and Drippy's voice acting) goes an awfully long way.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 36 EmptyTue 15 Sep 2020 - 16:47

Yeah as I've always said, it's a lovely film Razz
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 36 EmptyWed 16 Sep 2020 - 18:55

Whack on Spirited Away instead - sorted.

Nah, NNK is one I've always meant to get around to at some point but Backloggery told me that my next game is the entire bloody Kingdom Hearts series so that'll be me for a while...
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 36 EmptyThu 17 Sep 2020 - 17:37

Spirited Away isn't even the best Ghibli film! Anyway NNK's just gone full Pokémon - I'll take that away to the correct thread.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 36 EmptyMon 28 Sep 2020 - 14:56

The impending release of Age of Calamity is enough to motivate me to finally return to Breath of the Wild so I've been on that over the weekend to finish the DLC, still as great as I remember it. Whenever I return to it whether it's for a week or just a day I always find myself getting so in to like I never left.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 36 EmptySat 3 Oct 2020 - 18:25

I too have just started the Ace Attorney trilogy!

It's the new game that I play with my girlfriend and so far we have cracked the first case... er, well the first real case. I can see why so many people really enjoy this game, it made me smile even though parts of it were a bit... stupid... and at times, the bad kind of stupid. But most of the time it was the right kind of clever with a dash of the absurd.

Echoing Rum from earlier, some of the logical leaps were a bit much and there were certainly times where we fluked the right objection. It's a bit of a shame that those moments stand out because when the game is flowing it's really good stuff. But to be fair, this is probably partly why it feels so satisfying when you're putting all the clues together. We only had 1 game over, so not too bad. It just feels a little like the punishment for losing is a bit of an arbitrary game over screen.

I think the thing that's impressed me the most so far is just how good the localisation team must have been - and by extension the original script.

They've done a good job with Edgey Boy especially.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 36 EmptyMon 5 Oct 2020 - 19:32

One of us, one of us etc. Edgey's great. Still hate Rum's video though (he says watching it again).
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Galactic Nova
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 36 EmptyTue 6 Oct 2020 - 1:15

I think an inability to fail is a storytelling failure in a lot of linear games. In a book or a film or, y'know, real life, there are ups and downs but in a game the player is constantly winning and being told how great they are. Some games do smart things with it, and Phoenix Wright does sometimes as well, but it is an issue.

This is why I really like games in which the fail state is canon . . . Something like XCom, Shadow of Mordor or even Dark Souls and Monster Hunter, in a way.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 36 EmptyTue 6 Oct 2020 - 10:41

In that regard, I think you would really like Hades Buskalilly. I downloaded it yesterday on the Switch and not only is it bloody good at the gamey bits, but the failure state is built into the storytelling so it feels like a hack and slash game that's one long story built into you getting progressively better at moving through the underworld.

Heck of a game so far and a bangin soundtrack too.

We finished the first 4 episodes of the opening Phoenix Wright game. So many twists and turns!
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Galactic Nova
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 36 EmptyWed 7 Oct 2020 - 15:07

Between this forum, TCGS and talking to Andy on Skype I'm dead bloody keen to play a bit of Hades when I'm done with my Mario marathon.

The first four episodes are basically the whole game, the fifth was a bonus case added for the DS port of the original GBA game.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 36 EmptyThu 8 Oct 2020 - 11:55

That makes sense, there was an end credits there and all.

I think the highest recommendation I can give Hades is that it's so good that my girlfriend bought her own copy after playing it with me once.

The closest thing she likes to an action game is Mario or crafters like Dragon Quest Builders, but even she loved the way it played.

It's easily the best game I've played so far this year.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 36 EmptyThu 8 Oct 2020 - 18:10

The fifth case is a bit of a drop in quality and an increase in quantity - not the best combination. Ah well, it's still better than the circus one.

I'm still playing Ni No Kuni, although I think I've now got access to the spell Andy was talking about that breaks the game. I feel like I've earned it, though! It's been tough! Anyway, this is a Good JRPG for people looking for a Good JRPG.

While y'all are drooling over Hades I'm looking for reviews of I Am Dead. Annapurna have a strong track record and it looks intriguing. Have we seen any more of it outside that one trailer?
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 36 EmptySat 10 Oct 2020 - 18:29

Can't say I've looked at any more trailers or anything but reviews have been good.

I've now started Hades after hearing good things from Jon Denton and after a few runs I can tell that I'm gonna love it, the gameplay just feels so on point and the few upgrades, different weapons I've used have made it feel even better. My previous experience with Supergiant bored the heck out of me but this is quality stuff.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 36 EmptySat 10 Oct 2020 - 18:39

Balladeer wrote:
The fifth case is a bit of a drop in quality and an increase in quantity - not the best combination.  Ah well, it's still better than the circus one.  

I'm still playing Ni No Kuni, although I think I've now got access to the spell Andy was talking about that breaks the game.  I feel like I've earned it, though!  It's been tough!  Anyway, this is a Good JRPG for people looking for a Good JRPG.

While y'all are drooling over Hades I'm looking for reviews of I Am Dead.  Annapurna have a strong track record and it looks intriguing.  Have we seen any more of it outside that one trailer?

We started the fifth case today and got a game over screen during the first court session Drama queen A frustrating game over because we definitely made it to the last or penultimate part. Agree that it is more quantity than quality although I wouldn't' say it's bad.

I watched the trailer for I Am Dead and thought it looked interesting. Could be something I pick up once I'm in Hades remission...

Treesmurf wrote:
I've now started Hades after hearing good things from Jon Denton and after a few runs I can tell that I'm gonna love it, the gameplay just feels so on point and the few upgrades, different weapons I've used have made it feel even better. My previous experience with Supergiant bored the heck out of me but this is quality stuff.

Oh yeah. It's a game that has so much to give at the start before it just keeps on giving. I'm towards the end game stuff now and possibilities just keep opening up.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 36 EmptySun 11 Oct 2020 - 18:47

Muss wrote:
Balladeer wrote:
The fifth case is a bit of a drop in quality and an increase in quantity - not the best combination.  Ah well, it's still better than the circus one.  

I'm still playing Ni No Kuni, although I think I've now got access to the spell Andy was talking about that breaks the game.  I feel like I've earned it, though!  It's been tough!  Anyway, this is a Good JRPG for people looking for a Good JRPG.

While y'all are drooling over Hades I'm looking for reviews of I Am Dead.  Annapurna have a strong track record and it looks intriguing.  Have we seen any more of it outside that one trailer?

We started the fifth case today and got a game over screen during the first court session Drama queen A frustrating game over because we definitely made it to the last or penultimate part. Agree that it is more quantity than quality although I wouldn't' say it's bad.

OBJECTION!

We've just reached the end of day 3 and so I now actually understand what you meant by quantity over quality!

Bloody hell, this is the case that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends... and a bit needlessly too. There have been moments in the first four episodes that were not so hot, but this case has far too many of those! A lot of the DS bits don't translate particularly well, especially that bloody vase!

I would have much preferred something closer to the Steel Samurai case, which is definitely my favourite case so far. It hits the right level of zanyness while also leaving enough room for you to feel smart as your work through the case. This bonus case makes narrative sense in so far as its themes following on from the prior case, but I would much rather of had a better version of it be the final set piece of a separate game
Spoiler:

Maybe the way things are works out for the best that it's here for the series as a whole, I have no idea having not read any spoilers for what's to come, but in isolation this case has a bad case of plot holes and twists for the sake of twists. It's bordering on bad. Sad
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 36 EmptySun 11 Oct 2020 - 22:16

Weirdly this case is heralded as being a classic, but I definitely agree with the quantity over quality statement. It's a good case but you end up with so much evidence to wade through it's hard to keep track of what's relevant!
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Galactic Nova
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 36 EmptyMon 12 Oct 2020 - 3:19

I loved the basic premise, that you're defending someone who wants to take the fall, and I love quite a few of the characters, but it dragged when I replayed it a couple of years back for my case reviews.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 36 Empty

Back to top Go down

What are you playing on your Switch?
Page 36 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next