Not even JayMoyles' edge is worth this much

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Metal Gear Series

Go down 
+10
oldschool
Admin
JayMoyles
Cube
The_Jaster
beemoh
Crumpy Andy
The Cappuccino Kid
Buskalilly
masofdas
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Favourite Metal Gear
Metal Gear
Metal Gear Series - Page 3 Vote_lcap0%Metal Gear Series - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Snakes Revenge
 0% [ 0 ]
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Series - Page 3 Vote_lcap10%Metal Gear Series - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 10% [ 1 ]
Ghost Babel
 0% [ 0 ]
Sons of Liberty
 10% [ 1 ]
Twin Snakes
Metal Gear Series - Page 3 Vote_lcap30%Metal Gear Series - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 30% [ 3 ]
Snake Eater / 3D
Metal Gear Series - Page 3 Vote_lcap40%Metal Gear Series - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 40% [ 4 ]
Acid
 0% [ 0 ]
Acid 2
 0% [ 0 ]
Portable Ops / +
 0% [ 0 ]
Guns of the Patriots
 0% [ 0 ]
Online / Arcade
 0% [ 0 ]
Peace Walker
 10% [ 1 ]
Revengearce
 0% [ 0 ]
Ground Zeroes
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 10

AuthorMessage
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

Metal Gear Series - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 3 EmptyWed 4 Mar 2015 - 15:05

I've never played a Metal Gear game in my life.
Back to top Go down
http://messedupcables.forumotion.net
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 3 EmptyWed 4 Mar 2015 - 18:00

Get on that Stu

MGS does hold up like most classic game's.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 3 EmptyWed 4 Mar 2015 - 18:05

The only issue I have with most MGS games are the fiddly controls otherwise I have enjoyed them, I'm so glad it (the controls) will be easier to deal with in Phantom Pain.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 3 EmptyWed 4 Mar 2015 - 18:11

Far too long-winded to hold my interest, sadly. More enticing games than these have failed to grab me. Aww!
Back to top Go down
http://messedupcables.forumotion.net
Buskalilly
Galactic Nova
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 3 EmptyWed 4 Mar 2015 - 19:56

Stu_the_great wrote:
Far too long-winded to hold my interest, sadly. More enticing games than these have failed to grab me. Aww!

Ground Zeroes can be beaten in five minutes, don't you know.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 3 EmptyWed 4 Mar 2015 - 22:37

Jas sums up my feelings. I feel that they don't hold up because they control so damn poorly and it becomes a chore. Peace Walker was definitely heading in the right direction and what I've seen of GZ I'll love PPs
Back to top Go down
oldschool
Bandana Waddle Dee
oldschool

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 3 EmptyThu 5 Mar 2015 - 0:23

Stu_the_great wrote:
I've never played a Metal Gear game in my life.

I am only one better than you Stu. I thought I would try out the Xbox game, forgotten the name, and I was insanely bored. I haven't touched one since. I didn't hate it, but like Tom Clancy games with stealth, I just can't get into it.
Back to top Go down
http://aspergamer.webs.com/apps/forums/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 3 EmptyThu 5 Mar 2015 - 10:16

The one on X-Box is MGS2 Substance version which is the best Metal Gear game ever and is nothing like a Tom Clancy Splinter Cell game there completely different.

@Andy you say about the controls I was really confused for about 10minutes on GZ as I was pressing the wrong buttons as I was so used to the old layout on a dual shock.

I've not played it but I reckon if I played Grim Fandango HD, I would play with Tank controls.

Just seen the collectors edition DLC much but I do want
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 3 EmptyThu 5 Mar 2015 - 11:06

The controls seem a lot like Splinter Cells to me, so all is Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
oldschool
Bandana Waddle Dee
oldschool

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 3 EmptyThu 5 Mar 2015 - 12:27

masofdas wrote:
The one on X-Box is MGS2 Substance version which is the best Metal Gear game ever and is nothing like a Tom Clancy Splinter Cell game there completely different.

I didn't say the games were alike, but they both share a stealth element and having played both, I was equally bored. That was a long time ago though, so I only remember fragments of both. Hell, I didn't get past the training in Splinter Cell before before I nearly died of boredom. I had some fun on the ship in MGS, but only by doing the stealth so horribly wrong to get a laugh, to relieve the boredom. This is subjective of course, I tried them and really didn't like them, which is not a comment on their quality, just my personal experience.

This was my reviews of the games back in the day:

Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
I only bought this game to find out what all the fuss was with MGS. As it turns out, from my perspective, not much. It took a while, with a very long opening scene to actually use the controller. I did get lost a fair bit early on and my ability to shoot sucked big time. It is a stealth game and I am not very stealthy. I actually did have a bit of fun out of being bad at it, getting some laughs at crawling at the moment I was trying to get away. That amusement isn’t the point of the game and wore off quickly.

Once I learned to shoot properly it opened the game up a bit, but I just couldn’t see the point. The Snake character just doesn’t draw me in, nor does the espionage story. I am sure it is a very good game, but I can’t get into it. It still looks reasonably decent, but the HD remake is probably a better option if I ever wanted to try again.

Score: Middling

Desire to play more? - I didn’t hate it, especially once I learned to shoot properly, but I didn’t like it much either. I have doubts I will spend more time with it, or buy another MGS.

For comparison, this was my Splinter Cell review:

Splinter Cell:
I am going to use the word, ‘bored’ a lot in this review, because I was so bored with this game, even more than I was bored with another stealth game, Metal Gear Solid. Absolutely everything bored me, no exceptions. There you go, I have that out of my system now. Don’t get me wrong. Splinter Cell looked okay, the mechanics of the stealth were more than fine - it did exactly what it was supposed to do, but I just didn’t care for it.

Splinter is a pure stealth game and that is the biggest problem I have with it. You spend all your time doing everything slowly and methodically. I could not get any sense of satisfaction from sneaking up on someone, or avoiding the camera. I never completed the training and have no desire to ever do so. It wasn’t that I couldn’t do it, I actually did most of it, and it is just that I didn’t want to continue. All I could think of the whole time I played it was doing something, anything else. I just can’t imagine ever liking it. Still, it was better than Ghost Recon, but that isn’t saying much.

Score: Disliked

Desire to play more? - Definitely not. Just what is the appeal with these games?

Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 3 EmptyThu 5 Mar 2015 - 12:34

The thing is especially with Splinter Cell didn't you know it was going to be slow due to it being a stealth game.

You do have to be stealthy in MGS some times but I think your missing the point of the games with It took a while, with a very long opening scene to actually use the controller. That's kinda the point of MGS, Number 4 has a 90minute ending which has barley any controller interaction but i loved it and would think that's why drunka loves it as well.

I don't think you will ever like SC but MGS maybe and like you said there's a HD version which you could pick up cheap on PS3,
Back to top Go down
oldschool
Bandana Waddle Dee
oldschool

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 3 EmptyThu 5 Mar 2015 - 12:46

masofdas wrote:
The thing is especially with Splinter Cell didn't you know it was going to be slow due to it being a stealth game.

You do have to be stealthy in MGS some times but I think your missing the point of the games with It took a while, with a very long opening scene to actually use the controller. That's kinda the point of MGS, Number 4 has a 90minute ending which has barley any controller interaction but i loved it and would think that's why drunka loves it as well.

I don't think you will ever like SC but MGS maybe and like you said there's a HD version which you could pick up cheap on PS3,

I had a fair idea of what the games would be, but you never truly know what you will like until you try it for yourself. I din't know stealth would bore me so much until I experienced it. The same goes for the long scenes with little interaction. Those generally bore me. If I want to watch a movie, I will watch a movie. Unless I am really into it, and I am not into MGS, then I am going to get restless and think about something else I could be doing that was interesting.

I want to reinforce the point that I tried something for myself, I stepped out of my genre preference to try something different. Sometimes that works, sometimes not. Stealth just wasn't for me. Importantly I don't rubbish the games, just share my personal experience.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 3 EmptyThu 5 Mar 2015 - 12:49

Yeah at least you've tried it unlike Andy and not trying them do to controls
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 3 EmptyThu 5 Mar 2015 - 12:51

What are you talking about Mas? I've played up to the tank on the first and I've completed 3 & Peace Walker Meh I'm just struggling to get through 1 because it really does control like shit.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 3 EmptyThu 5 Mar 2015 - 12:57

I forgot how much you have played but was just joshing with ya

Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 3 EmptyThu 5 Mar 2015 - 14:29

Drunkalilly wrote:
Stu_the_great wrote:

Ground Zeroes can be beaten in five minutes, don't you know.

...but can still be easily enjoyed for way past 10 hours. Thumbs Up!

----

Since the topic of stealth also came up that's another thing I think they nailed perfectly in Ground zeroes but more importantly when you need to go all out action to escape a situation that is leagues ahead of all the other MGS games & the transition between the two is seamless.

Also I may be completely wrong but from the recent leaked IGN video it seems Kojima is taking a different approach with the story and the cutscenes may not be as long winded as they were before as he spoke about Snake being more of an extension of the player and how he won't talk as much as he did before.

Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 3 EmptyThu 5 Mar 2015 - 14:31

The videos are up now but I've not watched as I don't want to know to much in till it comes out.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Galactic Nova
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 3 EmptyFri 6 Mar 2015 - 21:33

Andy, are you trying to use the analogue sticks on the first? It plays infinitely better with a dpad.

I wonder why the controls have never bothered me? I came to the series quite late; I only finished MGS for the first time last year and I liked it so much I played through the whole game in one sitting.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 3 EmptyTue 4 Aug 2015 - 10:47

Because Andy is weird

My MGSV has now been paid for thanks to the Game Collection taking the money already, I was going for the CE with the Arm for £100 via GAME but decided to stop buying Special Edition of things I'm unlikely to keep and that's money that could go towards something elde but I do kinda want the SE PS4 console but it's only got 500gb HDD, if it had a 1TB I'd be all over it.

MGS:O on V won't go live till 6th October which is good as gives time to do all the SP and the MP via that with Mother Base. I'm just a bit annoyed that I won't have any of you guys to play with, I'll have Drunka to talk to about it though which is something.

La Li Lu Le Lo
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 3 EmptyTue 4 Aug 2015 - 11:43

Time for a belated reply! It's not an analogue issue, it's just all the hoops to jump through to do anything. 3 was a pain in the arse with the random first person controls and the dodgy half presses.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 3 EmptyTue 4 Aug 2015 - 16:32

The most simple things could be awkward to pull off (like going from a standing position to crouching then to prone) at times and that's not fun to deal with when you are trying to sneak by someone & get caught because the controls fuck you over.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 3 EmptyTue 4 Aug 2015 - 17:24

See I've never had a problem with the controls in any MGS game, save for performing a continuous sausage roll in MGS 4 Online which was a pointless thing anyway. I suppose I kind of grew up with them though.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 3 EmptyWed 5 Aug 2015 - 16:58

To keep the admin questions thread free from it I thought I'd transfer this conversation to here:

Orange Rakoon wrote:
Definitely play the MGS games in release order, not chronological order.

MGS1 and MGS3 are the two most standalone games though - you could definitely play MGS3 with no prior MGS knowledge. (It's also the best game in the series, so there's that.)

Mas wrote:
MGS3 the best  Laughing  

Orange Rakoon wrote:
I hope you're not suggesting that it isn't

Mas wrote:
MGS3 is my least favourite, 2 is the best to me.

Don't a lot of MGS fans consider 2 to be the black sheep of the family giving the character switch? I've also heard many people say 3 is the best so not sure why you were laughing at that Mas. (apart from it obviously not being your favourite)
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 3 EmptyWed 5 Aug 2015 - 17:17

2 is really good, but yep I'd always rank it bottom. I honestly go back and forth between the rest as to which is better, but I'd probably go with the original. If I was held at gun point and told I had to choose, 1-4-3-2.

I appreciate what 3 tried to do, but because it still uses a top down view and forgoes a radar it can be a bit awkward having to switch between views. The long cut scenes of 4 don't annoy me at all but the massive installation times do. The original was probably the best all-rounder. Lots of great boss fights, concise(ish) storytelling, and pretty easy to handle.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 3 EmptyWed 5 Aug 2015 - 22:10

It's not my least fav but I do think it's a bit over-rated MGS3, yes it's a great game no doubt about that but to me MGS 2 is clearly the best but that might be because I bought my PS2 for it and was the first MGS I played properly ala FFIX is the best Final Fantasy or Wind Waker the best Zelda.

But you can see from page one how I rank the MG series.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Metal Gear Series
Page 3 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next