Not even JayMoyles' edge is worth this much

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning)

Go down 
+21
OrangeRakoon
flora-chan
shanks
Treesmurf
Crumpy Andy
Athrun888
fronkhead
Vidofnir
beemoh
Kieron
JayMoyles
Buskalilly
Solve My Maze
masofdas
ZeroJones
The_Jaster
Jimbob
Admin
Darunia
Gwyn400
Balladeer
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 25 ... 33  Next
AuthorMessage
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning) - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning)   The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning) - Page 18 EmptySun 5 Mar 2017 - 15:24

I had a belter of a side quest moment last night that had me exploring a snowy mountain, at one point I bumped into a blue Lizalfos that was breathing ice at me, it promptly froze me & whacked me off the side of the mountain. Crying or Very sad I gave it another crack this time approaching from a different angle & I'm so glad that I did because the moment I had at the mountain peak was absolutely magical.

Also how bloody tense is it when you're in a cold area and the cold resistance timer is ticking down? Stuff like that really makes the adventure all the more real/fun because you have to be suitably prepared to go to the harsh environments.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning) - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning)   The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning) - Page 18 EmptySun 5 Mar 2017 - 15:57

Der der da der! You got the Parka! This allows you to traverse cold areas without taking damage! (Load +2)
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning)   The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning) - Page 18 EmptySun 5 Mar 2017 - 16:13

I did a roll of stone into a hole and a forest fella popped out and said lo mate. Thumbs Up!

I've not even made it to the village the old man talks about at the start, too much exploring to do.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning)   The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning) - Page 18 EmptySun 5 Mar 2017 - 16:35

ZeroJones wrote:
Der der da der! You got the Parka! This allows you to traverse cold areas without taking damage! (Load +2)

You joke, but...

Very early game spoilers:
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning)   The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning) - Page 18 EmptySun 5 Mar 2017 - 16:48

Well that makes me feel like an idiot, I never saw him and made the entire journey shovelling apples in to Link's guzzle!  

Took a peek at Hyrule Castle, boy that was a journey and a half.  That entire area, without going in to spoilers, is dangerous as hell.  

Le deets:

And should you make it through all that to the castle itself, well, good luck getting inside.  You'll need it.  I barely managed to get out of there alive, but at least mapped.  

Seeing what's happening there though really brought home how deadly the villains plan is this time, the cheery atmosphere of the game makes the darkness all the more disturbing. . .  Pale

This is without a doubt one of the most well crafted video game worlds of all time.  Following the minimal cutscenes the gameplay and exploration tell the story all on their own.
Back to top Go down
Gwyn400
FMK Tagline
Gwyn400

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning)   The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning) - Page 18 EmptySun 5 Mar 2017 - 17:06

The_Jaster wrote:
I had a belter of a side quest moment last night that had me exploring a snowy mountain, at one point I bumped into a blue Lizalfos that was breathing ice at me, it promptly froze me & whacked me off the side of the mountain. Crying or Very sad I gave it another crack this time approaching from a different angle & I'm so glad that I did because the moment I had at the mountain peak was absolutely magical.

Also how bloody tense is it when you're in a cold area and the cold resistance timer is ticking down? Stuff like that really makes the adventure all the more real/fun because you have to be suitably prepared to go to the harsh environments.

I went up that mountain without any cold resistance food or arrows so the whole thing was a lot harder for me than it needed to be. Still fun though
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Galactic Nova
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning)   The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning) - Page 18 EmptySun 5 Mar 2017 - 17:30

ZeroJones wrote:
JayMoyles wrote:
Very early game spoilers:
Athrun888 wrote:
Well that makes me feel like an idiot, I never saw him and made the entire journey shovelling apples in to Link's guzzle!
I climbed a mountain and got told it was too cold before I'd done very much of anything, so after that when I picked some peppers I put two and two together. When the time finally came to climb up to the shrine, I cooked myself some spicy dinner and did it no fuss.  

Quote :
Took a peek at Hyrule Castle, boy that was a journey and a half.  That entire area, without going in to spoilers, is dangerous as hell.
Haven't made that trip yet myself. I've been doing some exploring while heading towards objectives at a leisurely pace. I'm now in a position where I can visit 12 locations, orgo find towers and shrines, or seek out the beasts. Not for the first time in this game, I feel as though I've just now reached the end of the tutorial and started the game proper. Seems like as good a time as any to have a pop at the castle myself, as you mention it . . .

Quote :
Seeing what's happening there though really brought home how deadly the villains plan is this time, the cheery atmosphere of the game makes the darkness all the more disturbing. . .  Pale
Yep. It does a great job of capturing the fun and personality and humour of Zelda, without losing all drama like Skyward Sword, while also presenting a genuine feeling of threat and danger without overdoing it on the glum like Twilight Princess. A real masterstroke.

Quote :
This is without a doubt one of the most well crafted video game worlds of all time.  Following the minimal cutscenes the gameplay and exploration tell the story all on their own.
I couldn't agree more. I often take umbrage with people who accuse Nintendo games, like Zelda and Mario, of not having story. They have a beginning, an end, and incident along the way, they just so happen to let the player experience the story themselves, rather than imitating other media's ways of telling stories. This game is a perfect example, with a world that feels rich with history and tells it through little details rather than exposition. It reminds me a lot of Da*shot with a bow and arrow*
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning)   The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning) - Page 18 EmptySun 5 Mar 2017 - 17:37

Drunkalilly wrote:
It reminds me a lot of Da*shot with a bow and arrow*

*Balla scurries off through the undergrowth* Winky Face
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning)   The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning) - Page 18 EmptySun 5 Mar 2017 - 18:05

Drunkalilly wrote:
It reminds me a lot of Da*shot with a bow and arrow*

Well... the game does have parrying in it... Whistle

I think I might have a crack at the castle too, just to poke my head in - I've got a couple of sidequests that want me to fetch something from there, and I'm not feeling like going for my second big story objective as of yet.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Galactic Nova
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning)   The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning) - Page 18 EmptySun 5 Mar 2017 - 18:07

It's not an inappropriate comparison; Dark Souls' developers openly say they were inspired by The Adventure of Link, and BotW takes bits and bobs from other games and very smartly puts them together into a new whole.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning)   The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning) - Page 18 EmptySun 5 Mar 2017 - 18:22

Crumpy Andy wrote:
To me this is a really good game, but it's just not a Zelda game. I miss the dungeons & I don't think the Shrines or the Beasts are anywhere near the quality of a proper Zelda dungeon.

I was worried about this. It's sad to hear there aren't any proper Zelda dungeons. Not all of the series conventions are bad! (Still a better move than scrapping the overworld, mind.)
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning)   The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning) - Page 18 EmptySun 5 Mar 2017 - 19:40

Went for the final boss after playing all day again, mopped up a few of the memories and loads of Shrines and I think I'm pretty happy to call it a day there. Good game, but there's only so many times I can be exploring a new area, find a Shrine and get excited about it.

Getting around kind of lost its sheen after a while, there's only so many times I can stand half way up a cliff waiting for the rain to pass, or scream at my horse as it refuses to walk down a cliff/across the bridge without being an arse (that clever horse tech clearly didn't work).
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning)   The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning) - Page 18 EmptySun 5 Mar 2017 - 19:46

Holy Smoked Hylian Bass on a stick, this game just went full XCX!  Shocked

Creature spoilers:

I thought I was safe to just gaze longingly at the creature too, after all it was miles away.  
More creature deets:

Haven't done anything story related in almost ten hours now, exploring is just too darn fun!
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Galactic Nova
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning)   The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning) - Page 18 EmptySun 5 Mar 2017 - 19:52

No game can truly please everyone. I kinda just feel bad for you Andy, because other than coming on here, nipping to buy bread or eating my tea with a King Kong film, I've played this game solidly since I got out of bed this morning and enjoyed every second. Even during the film, I played on handheld mode for the bits where monsters weren't fighting.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning)   The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning) - Page 18 EmptySun 5 Mar 2017 - 20:20

To be fair I have had 2 solid days worth of game out of it and, aside from one of the beasts, enjoyed it the whole time, just wish it felt like the game everyone is raving about. Does leave me in the situation where I don't have any single player Switch games to play 2 days after launch Laughing
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning)   The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning) - Page 18 EmptySun 5 Mar 2017 - 20:59

I get the feeling you don't enjoy pure exploration Andy, so that's always going to be a slight problem for you.  I remember you disliking XCX as well.  For me, there's so much joy in finding a new Bokoblin outpost to rout, or (as I did today) finding a hidden statue thing and whittling away its guardian Moblin from where it couldn't get me. Grin Trouble is I'll never be able to find it again now, completely forgot to put a marker down!

And by the time I do I'll probably have to put up with the Moblin again.  Ruddy blood moon. DAMN YOU! Don't get me wrong, I think it's the best regeneration mechanic I've experienced, but really irritating considering all the work I went to to clean some of those encampments out!
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Galactic Nova
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning)   The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning) - Page 18 EmptySun 5 Mar 2017 - 21:35

Drunkalilly wrote:
No game can truly please everyone. I kinda just feel bad for you Andy, because other than coming on here, nipping to buy bread or eating my tea with a King Kong film, I've played this game solidly since I got out of bed this morning and enjoyed every second. Even during the film, I played on handheld mode for the bits where monsters weren't fighting.

To paraphrase: I feel bad for you son. I got 99 problems but a Switch ain't one.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning)   The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning) - Page 18 EmptySun 5 Mar 2017 - 21:39

Athrun888 wrote:
Holy Smoked Hylian Bass on a stick, this game just went full XCX!  Shocked

Creature spoilers:

I thought I was safe to just gaze longingly at the creature too, after all it was miles away.  
More creature deets:

Haven't done anything story related in almost ten hours now, exploring is just too darn fun!  

Creature Chat:
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning)   The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning) - Page 18 EmptySun 5 Mar 2017 - 22:05

Guest wrote:
I remember NGamer asking this in one of their forum Big Issues ahead of Skyward Sword, and I said something like 'Steel Cage matches and the Master League'. Some of that, ta.

If the plan is to completely change the way we think about playing Zelda, then that's cool. I'll go into it with an open mind. My track record with the series is poor though.

I think this is the first time I've even clicked on this thread since Guest posted the above over four years ago. That's mad to think that that's how long Breath of the Wild has been kicking about for.

Anyway. I've never played a game like this. Completely dissimilar to my usual type of game - this could not be any more unrelated to my usual sort of game. I don't even have words to use to describe it otherwise.

I think I'm about six/seven hours in. I've just found out about horses, which is a bit annoying, as I've walked through two bits of the map that took ages.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning)   The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning) - Page 18 EmptySun 5 Mar 2017 - 23:13

After some more game time today and doing a ??????, I feel like I will agree with Andy, come the end but unlike him I can play some I Am Setsuna after for a Single Player experience.

Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning)   The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning) - Page 18 EmptyMon 6 Mar 2017 - 8:23

Kudos to Cappa for shifting outside his comfort zone. I've tried to do so myself to no avail, hope it works out better for you sir!
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Galactic Nova
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning)   The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning) - Page 18 EmptyMon 6 Mar 2017 - 12:04

Drunka's Reconnaissance of Hyrule Castle
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning) - Page 18 C6o0ni10

Right. I had some time last night before my friends came over for the wrestling. I'd spent some time searching out towers and shrines, enjoying little encounters with enemies and characters along the way, and I decided it was time to sit down in front of the telly and approach the castle. I wanted to see it for myself and I also had a spot I wanted to visit for a *****y.

I nearly gave myself a heart attack.
Don't read if you want to experience the castle yourself:

In terms of tangible rewards, it wasn't the most fruitful trip. I guess I approached the castle from an angle without much loot, or didn't go deep enough. As an experience, though, it was bloody exhilarating. I got a real taste of the threat the world faces and the challenge I'm gonna have to face, and I got to really see what the Guardians were capable of. Man, they look kinda silly in pictures but those things are scary! I love them. I mentioned Dark Souls' Black Knights earlier, and I stand by that. I also think they could be up there with Bioshock's Big Daddy. I can't wait to be able to properly smash one of the bastards!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning)   The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning) - Page 18 EmptyMon 6 Mar 2017 - 15:27

It's funny: when I first heard about it, I hated the idea of being able to approach the castle from the get-go (pretty much).  Another nail in the coffin of linearity.  Now that I'm playing the game, it works so very well.  Personally I've never been tempted to go anywhere near there, I know I'll die; but there it is, looming like a really big bloke with half a nose who thinks you've been dissing his fly girl.  Good stuff.  Good scary stuff.

Personally, I've just hit Hateno Village (no flipping of notes to be had, sadly), and finally bought some proper armour.  Only to find I'm being denied the big weapons because I needed to go to Kakariko first. Mad Saddle up, Link!

Also: horse names, anyone?  I called my piebald Rusty.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning)   The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning) - Page 18 EmptyMon 6 Mar 2017 - 16:35

Just popping in to say it's amazing and I no longer have time for anything else in life

My horse names are inventive: Blue (it was blue), Spot (it had spots), and now Patch (yes you guessed it)
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
Gwyn400
FMK Tagline
Gwyn400

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning)   The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning) - Page 18 EmptyMon 6 Mar 2017 - 16:43

OrangeRakoon wrote:

My horse names are inventive: Blue (it was blue), Spot (it had spots), and now Patch (yes you guessed it)

Glad to see I'm not the only person who's this lazy when it comes to names, my horses are called Blue, Splotches and Brownie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning)   The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning) - Page 18 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Like Wario First Thing in the Morning)
Page 18 of 33Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 25 ... 33  Next