Not even JayMoyles' edge is worth this much

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Counting Classics on Consoles

Go down 
+10
Crumpy Andy
Jimbob
Dead Lemon
The_Jaster
masofdas
Buskalilly
JayMoyles
The Cappuccino Kid
ZeroJones
Balladeer
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 21  Next
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 10 EmptySat 5 Sep 2015 - 8:48

Eh, it's not that bad: we've got 16 classics on the GBA, just one less than the NES!  Also two of those (the Pokémon games) are pairs, so that's 18 if you choose to think of them in that way.  Either way, that's 16 classics on a funny little handheld, without including ports of all the great SNES games.

But enough of that: it's time for my favourite console, the Gamecube!  As always, I'll start things off:

Metroid Prime Y 9-1
PMTTYD Y 8-0
Super Mario Sunshine Y 9-1
Pokémon XD Y 2-2
Pokémon Colosseum N 3-2
FEPaR A 3-1
Chibi Robo A 3-0
LoZWW Y 10-0
LoZTP N 9-1
RE4 Y 9-0
F-Zero GX Y 7-0
SSBM Y 9-0
Luigi's Mansion Y 9-1
Pikmin Y 9-0
Animal Crossing N 5-2
MGSTS A 3-1
Resident Evil A 5-1
BG&E Y 7-0
Eternal Darkness Y 5-1
SCII Y 8-0
Tales of Symphonia A 1-2
MKDD!! Y 9-1
LoZFSA N 3-3
Viewtiful Joe Y 6-0
MP2E N 3-4
MGTT Y 4-1
Spiderman 2 A 4-1
Fight Night Round 2 N 1-2
Def Jam Vendetta A 1-1
Def Jam Fight for NY A 1-1
Timesplitters 2 Y 7-0
Donkey Konga A 4-3
Star Wars: Rogue Leader Y 7-1
PoPSoT Y 8-1
1080 Avalanche N 1-3
Wave Race Blue Storm N 3-2
Star Fox Assault N 2-6
Star Fox Adventures N 4-5
Mario Party 4 N 2-4
Mario Party 5 N 2-4
Wario World N 2-4
Sonic Adventure 2 N 3-4
PN03 N 2-2
Pikmin 2 Y 6-1
Monkey Ball Y 8-0
Monkey Ball 2 Y 3-3
DKJB Y 6-0
WWIMPG A 4-3
Killer7 Y 3-2
Pacman Vs. N 2-3
HM Wonderful Life A 2-3
Mario Power Tennis N 3-3
Star Wars Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast N 2-1
Crazy Taxi N 4-3
LotRt3A N 1-2
Baten Kaitos N 1-1
BHatGE A 2-0
Doshin N 1-1
FFCC A 2-0
Simpsons Hit & Run N 2-2
Skies of Arcadia Legends N 1-1

Over to you, as always.

Last edited by Balladeer on Fri 11 Sep 2015 - 7:40; edited 15 times in total (Reason for editing : Drunkalilly)
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 10 EmptySat 5 Sep 2015 - 9:14

Metroid Prime - Yes
PMTTYD - Yes
Super Mario Sunshine - Yes
Pokémon XD - No, it didn't capture the magic of Colosseum

I'll add:
Pokemon Colosseum
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Chibi Robo
Back to top Go down
Dead Lemon
FMK Tagline
Dead Lemon

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 10 EmptySat 5 Sep 2015 - 9:44

Metroid Prime - Yes
PMTTYD - Yes
Pokémon XD - No
Pokemon Colosseum - no
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - abstain
Chibi Robo - abstain

I'll add the obvious ones to get them out of the way early:

Wind Waker
Twilight Princess
Resident Evil 4
F-Zero GX
Smash Bros Melee
Luigi's Mansion
Pikmin
Animal Crossing
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 10 EmptySat 5 Sep 2015 - 10:04

I'm going to have to do an early jump-in to defend XD, it seems.  True, it's arguably more of a cult classic, but we've got things like Mother 3 making the grade, so XD definitely deserves to be up there.

Quite simply, it's the best Pokémon given its release date.  It stripped out all the rubbish things from the main series games.  Random battles?  Gone.  The bog-standard 8-gyms-Elite-Four-champion non-story?  Gone.  Having to teach a monster Cut, wandering through caves, spending ages searching for a Chansey?  Gone, kaput, bye.  In its place was a solid story, characters like Chobin in his Groudon mech, and an increased focus on Double Battles.  And this music.

It was also the game Colosseum should have been.  Colosseum couldn't decide whether it wanted to be an RPG or Pokémon Stadium 3, and in doing so became a jack of all trades.  The cups were fine, but all of the Stadia's better features were stripped out; meanwhile the RPG was small and throwaway, featuring only a handful of monsters, making Shadow Pokémon irritatingly restrictive, and technically shonky even for the time.  Special mention to the walking animation and the heroine's face.

Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 10 75px-Colosseum_Rui_3D

I got XD and Fire Red at the same time.  One of the reasons I didn't vote for FR last time was because when I was playing it, XD was showing me how a Pokémon game should be done.  Says it all really.

Nothing really to say on the other suggestions, apart from that I didn't feel the Animal Crossing franchise really started to go classic until the DS game; and that I think that Twilight Princess will be most people's first classic Wii game rather than their last classic Gamecube game.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 10 EmptySat 5 Sep 2015 - 10:24

Here we go, we did start talking about the cube on the podcast after the podcast and there could be loads.

Metroid Prime - No, I run for the hills but I don't think this will make any difference of it getting in
PMTTYD - Yes
Pokémon XD - Abstain as I've not played as I'm not paying that price for it but have heard mixed things to lean either way
Pokemon Colosseum - Yes
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - Yes
Chibi Robo - Abstain
Wind Waker, Yes
Twilight Princess, Yes as it's a GameCube game ported to the Wii
Resident Evil 4, Yes
F-Zero GX, Yes
Super Smash Bros Melee, Yes
Luigi's Mansion, Yes
Pikmin, Yes
Animal Crossing, Yes

I will add these

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Resident Evil (remake)
Beyond Good & Evil, I played on Cube and it fits in with the cube really well but it is on PS2 & Xbox at the same time that it's more a 6th gen classic
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
Soulcalibur II
Tales of Symphonia
Double Dash
Four Swords Adventures
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 10 EmptySat 5 Sep 2015 - 13:04

Big list ahoy :

I'd like to add:

Viewtiful Joe
Metroid Prime 2 echoes
Mario Golf toadstool tour
Spiderman 2
Fight night round 2
Def Jam Vendetta
Def Jam Fight for NY
Timesplitters 2
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 10 EmptySat 5 Sep 2015 - 13:16

On Jas's games and this a issue with the cube compared to the rest of Nintendo systems that it got 3rd party games

Viewtiful Joe, Yes
Metroid Prime 2 echoes, Abstain even though I own it as I think the first isn't great that if never bothered to play it
Mario Golf toadstool tour, Yes
Spiderman 2, Hmm is this really a classic cube game or a classic game of that era. I did buy it on the cube that I will Yes it
Fight night round 2, Never played that it's abstain as it could be a great boxing title

These three I have the biggest issues with as I played them all on Xbox and TS2 was brought up on the Podcast between me and Drunka who said he would put it forward as he has fond memories of the multi-player, same here but not 4 player but with up-to 16 players with system link which to me made that game great, that I'm going to for same reason as Jas with Twilight Abstain all three games.

Def Jam Vendetta, Abstain
Def Jam Fight for NY, Abstain
Timesplitters 2, Abstain
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 10 EmptySat 5 Sep 2015 - 14:16

Okay, the Gamecube!

Here be games:

I'd like to put forward Donkey Konga, Star Wars: Rogue Leader and Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Dead Lemon
FMK Tagline
Dead Lemon

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 10 EmptySat 5 Sep 2015 - 15:04

Adding my votes for the new ones:

Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes - Abstain.
Resident Evil - Abstain.
Beyond Good & Evil - Yes
Eternal Darkness - Abstain.
Soul Calibur II - Yes! Best version.
Tales of Symphonia - Abstain.
Mario Kart: Double Dash!! - No, i like it but as a follow up to MK64 it was hugely disappointing
Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures - Abstain.
Viewtiful Joe - Abstain.
Metroid Prime 2 Echoes - Abstain
Mario Golf Toadstool Tour - Yea
Spiderman 2 - Abstain
Fight Night Round 2 - Abstain.
Def Jam Vendetta - Abstain.
Def Jam Fight for NY - Abstain.
Timesplitters 2 - Yes
Donkey Konga - abstain
SW: RL - abstain
PoP:SoT - Yes

And to add a few more because why not:

1080 Avalanche
Wave Race Blue Storm
Star Fox Assault
Star Fox Adventures
Mario Party 4
Mario Party 5
Wario World
Sonic Adventure 2
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 10 EmptySat 5 Sep 2015 - 15:06

I can't chime in on any of your picks DL except for Star Fox Adventures, which is a no from me. It's an okay game, but it's not spectacular by any means. Prince Tricky alone keeps it from classic status. Laughing
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 10 EmptySat 5 Sep 2015 - 15:19

mas wrote:
These three I have the biggest issues with as I played them all on Xbox and TS2 was brought up on the Podcast between me and Drunka who said he would put it forward as he has fond memories of the multi-player, same here but not 4 player but with up-to 16 players with system link which to me made that game great, that I'm going to for same reason as Jas with Twilight Abstain all three games.

Def Jam Vendetta, Abstain
Def Jam Fight for NY, Abstain
Timesplitters 2, Abstain

As you said here comes the issue of 3rd party releases as in the gen of cube, ps2 & xbox lot's of games were released on all three systems which is why I said previously in the thread that it can get really complicated & would prefer the approach of no matter what system you played it on if the game itself is still the same and if it's good enough it should still be labelled a classic.

So with that in mind I'm going to change my twilight princess to a yes. (If wii is being done it will also be a yes there)

Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 10 EmptySat 5 Sep 2015 - 17:42

The thing is Jas I would say No then to the two Def Jam games and still abstain on TS2 as I got a different experience to someone on Cube as like I said I played it via system link with more then 4 people, I might not of enjoyed it as much if I had played it with 4 people via split-screen on a 32inch TV.

On the added games
Donkey Konga - Yes
SW: RL - Yes
PoP:SoT - No
1080 Avalanche - Abstain
Wave Race Blue Storm - Abstain
Star Fox Assault - No
Star Fox Adventures - Yes
Mario Party 4 - a Mario Party should be in =but I don't know which one that both get a Yes
Mario Party 5 - Yes
Wario World - Yes
Sonic Adventure 2 - Yes as I put that Rhythm game in on GBA due to DC ties even though I do see this as a DC game

Let's add the only one of the Capcom 5 to stay exclusive
P.N.03

I can think of loads more but someone might bring them up.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 10 EmptySat 5 Sep 2015 - 18:21

Metroid Prime - Yes.
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door - Yes.
Super Mario Sunshine - Yes.
Pokémon XD - Abstain.
Pokémon Colosseum - Abstain.
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - No.
Chibi Robo - Abstain.
Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker - Yes.
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Yes. Was going to say 'No' initially though as I consider it more of a classic Wii game as its the format most played it (or bought it) on. But as it was planned, developed and obviously released for the Gamecube, it's a definite.
Resident Evil 4 - Yes.
F-Zero GX - Yes.
Super Smash Bros Melee - Yes.
Luigi's Mansion - Yes.
Pikmin - Yes.
Animal Crossing - No.
Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes - The best version of a classic game, so 'Yes'.
Resident Evil - As with MGS: TS - Yes.
Beyond Good & Evil - Yes.
Eternal Darkness - No. Good game but never considered it a classic.
Soul Calibur II - Yes.
Tales of Symphonia - No. Good game though.
Mario Kart: Double Dash!! - Yes.
Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures - No.
Viewtiful Joe - Yes.
Metroid Prime 2 Echoes - No.
Mario Golf Toadstool Tour - I'm going to say No, even though it's one of my favourite Gamecube games. The N64 and/or GBA ones are the classics.
Spiderman 2 - No.
Fight Night Round 2 - No.
Def Jam Vendetta - No.
Def Jam Fight for NY - No.
Timesplitters 2 - Yes.
Donkey Konga - No.
SW: RL - No.
PoP:SoT - Yes.
1080 Avalanche - No. Underwhelming I found.
Wave Race Blue Storm - Yes. Under-appreciated.
Star Fox Assault - No.
Star Fox Adventures - No.
Mario Party 4 - No.
Mario Party 5 - No.
Wario World - No.
Sonic Adventure 2 - No. Although this raises a valid point - does a classic game have to be great? Sonic Adventure is mostly crap, but I'd still consider it a classic Dreamcast game. May be more to do with the launch and 'feel' of the game though.

I'm going to add Pikmin 2, my favourite in the series. Also, Super Monkey Ball, how has this not been mentioned?!

With regards to the GBA not having many classics, that is also down to it's short lifespan (2001-2005). It had about 5 years. Compared to the DS which had 7 years (2005-2011) and the 3DS (2011-now) which is on its 5th year, it's not done too badly.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 10 EmptySat 5 Sep 2015 - 19:12

I'd love it if Wario World got classic status! It's wavering at the moment. I had to give it a No myself - I really liked it, but it seemed to be very "cult". But it was a much better game than it seemed to get credit for.

SMB definitely counts, and I'd like to put forward SMB2 as well. If only for the amount of Monkey Race and Monkey Soccer Football I played.

A classic game doesn't have to be great, but if it's a classic Dreamcast game (as opposed to a classic Gamecube game), perhaps save it for when Mas inevitably forces through a Dreamcast week. That said,

masofdas wrote:
Sonic Adventure 2 - Yes as I put that Rhythm game in on GBA due to DC ties even though I do see this as a DC game

I thought/hoped you were joking when you used that reasoning the first time around. Now I'm not so sure. Neutral
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 10 EmptySun 6 Sep 2015 - 7:44

The abstentions will be many. So many. Aww!

There's also the fact that the only time I've experienced, say, Metroid Prime, or Resident Evil 4, is through Wii updates. As I've never played the originals with their original controls, it was a hard time deciding whether or not I could vote them in with a clear conscience. Then I thought "Just do it". Tongue

Spoiler:

Incredibly, I've got one to add to the mix: Donkey Kong Jungle Beat. I may have only played it on the Wii, but quality tells. Grin
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 10 EmptySun 6 Sep 2015 - 9:50

On others consoles Balla, I don't know if people want to do a console like Jay might of thought to himself I want to do PS1. But I have some thoughts on it and how I would maybe do it.

There is some obvious systems to do like the PS1 that even you Balla without playing the system likely know likes of Final Fantasy VII is a classic but I see with these other systems our history with them on here is so-so.

Even our Nintendo history is iffy like I didn't know RC Pro-Am, Zero never had a Cube, Drunka no N64 that let's say we do Dreamcast week what is the likely hood it can do a whole week slim then PS2 & Xbox share lot of the same titles and that's more well known systems like I said the Jaguar has classics but only 2-3 at the most but who on here knows them.

That one solution is and fit's well with PS2, Xbox, Dreamcast is do the others by generation then there's none of this well I played it on a PS2 that's a PS2 classic not a Xbox classic, we just go bam that's a classic 6th generation game but now your thinking that's good but where does the PSP fit in & that's a issue if you do generations as handhelds are kinda off-cycle that they wouldn't fit then there's PC which actually gave me idea as it spans decades that will do other systems by years not every year since the dawn of time but like 1990-1995 which will get most of the 4th gen in such as Mega Drive, Turbo-Grafx, PC games of that time and handheld games and so on up to 2013.

On the added Cube games
Yes to all four of them
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 10 EmptySun 6 Sep 2015 - 9:56

I'll probably not be voting on the other consoles. Anyway, let's concentrate on the consoles we are doing for now.
Back to top Go down
Dead Lemon
FMK Tagline
Dead Lemon

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 10 EmptySun 6 Sep 2015 - 10:16

I love the GC. Really want to go dig it out and play it.

It was the last true pure gaming console. Before everything became out multi-media entertainment boxes. No messing about with the Cube, it was built purely for gaming.

Votes on the latest games:

PNO3 - Yes, maybe more a cult classic but I loved it
Pikmin 2 - abstain
SMB - Yes
SMB2 - abstain
DKJB - Yes

At the risk of nominating ALL THE GAMES here's some more:

WarioWare Inc Mega Party Games
Killer7
Pacman Vs
Harvest Moon: Wonderful Life
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 10 EmptySun 6 Sep 2015 - 10:18

Balladeer wrote:
I'll probably not be voting on the other consoles.  Anyway, let's concentrate on the consoles we are doing for now.

Boo On not voting if we others, but yeah I didn't really want to bring up the others in till after the Wii but the Cube due it being so similar to the other 3 systems of 6th gen it can't really be helped.

WarioWare Inc Mega Party Games No
Killer7 Yes
Pacman Vs Yes
Harvest Moon: Wonderful Life Yes
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 10 EmptySun 6 Sep 2015 - 10:22

I've not played a Harvest Moon game, but I really can't tell the difference between all of them. I abstained from this one, but it could have easily been a no. They just merge together into one farmy animally croppy mass.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 10 EmptySun 6 Sep 2015 - 10:27

Anyway - gdamit the list is long here:
Existing:
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 10 EmptySun 6 Sep 2015 - 10:32

Jimbob wrote:
Metroid Prime - Even though I didn't like it myself, this was slightly sullied by Wii controls, and I appreciate it's just me. So YES
Super Mario Sunshine - no, sorry

Suspect
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 10 EmptySun 6 Sep 2015 - 10:33

Abstaining on all the newly proposed games. Grin / Embarrassed
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 10 EmptySun 6 Sep 2015 - 10:52

Yes to Mario Power Tennis. I had a lot of fun with it. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 10 EmptySun 6 Sep 2015 - 10:53

Update:

I'd also like to add:
Star Wars Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast
Crazy Taxi (though I'm sure there will be some format based debate here...)
Lord of the Rings, The Third Age (Though I may be being optimistic, it's one of my favourite RPGs though Laughing )

Last edited by andyman949 on Sun 6 Sep 2015 - 16:45; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 10 Empty

Back to top Go down

Counting Classics on Consoles
Page 10 of 21Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 21  Next