Not even JayMoyles' edge is worth this much

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3

Go down 
+11
The Cappuccino Kid
OrangeRakoon
Treesmurf
Crumpy Andy
gjones
ZeroJones
Jimbob
The_Jaster
Muss
JayMoyles
masofdas
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 25 ... 30  Next
AuthorMessage
Buskalilly
Galactic Nova
Buskalilly

MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 21 EmptyFri 5 Mar 2021 - 1:07

I've missed plenty of consoles but I've never had any regrets particularly. Outside of Nintendo, I've no excessive desire to play everything that comes along. I might play what I missed on Playstation, Xbox and Sega somewhen . . . I might not.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 21 EmptyFri 5 Mar 2021 - 2:19

I've never owned an xbox and there is definitely quite a decent backlog of xbox exclusives I would like to play now!
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 21 EmptyFri 5 Mar 2021 - 21:36

I don't think I've missed much, haven't had an Xbox since the original one so I guess I've missed that line of consoles but don't feel like I'm missing too much there (aside from Sea of Thieves and Rare Replay which I could see myself buying a Series S for). I've never had a PS handheld as well which I could have seen myself getting in to I guess but even then most of the best stuff on that has come to the home consoles.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 21 EmptySat 6 Mar 2021 - 8:38

masofdas wrote:

Have any of you totally missed a console for a dumb reason like me or something else? 

A few:

• I missed the SEGA Saturn because by the time I was really getting into gaming (late 1997), I could already see in Gamesmaster and C&VG that it was on the way out. I soon had a chance to buy one in Comet (?) for something like fifty quid but I thought it was 'uncool'.

• I missed the Dreamcast because I wasn't impressed with a twenty-minute demo I played of Sonic Adventure in an Electronics Boutique.

• I missed the original XBox because I thought I thought all it's exclusives looked very, very boring, because I didn't have any way of playing online and mostly because I'd saw that WWE RAW and WWE RAW 2 had got bad reviews.

• I missed the PlayStation 3 because I knew all my pals were getting it and I knew I could just play Motorstorm, PES and WWE games at their houses. I bought one in 2012(ish), but immediately had buyer's remorse and sold it to an ex-friend the following day.

• I missed the DS Lite and DSi because I thought they were pointless upgrades. For six years I plodded along with the original grey DS Phat.  Meh

• I missed the PS Vita because I wasn't blown away with anything I'd played at a PlayStation pop-up event in Sauchiehall Street in late 2011. I thought that Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 were better than anything launching on Vita.

• Just like treesmurf, I missed out on the XBox One because there's precious little I've ever wanted to play on it. 
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 21 EmptySat 6 Mar 2021 - 10:24

I missed the Saturn when it was current as my uncle told me it was dead and want this PlayStation thing.

Wow I was blown away by Sonic Adventure, why I used the money I was saving for a PS2 on it.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Galactic Nova
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 21 EmptySat 6 Mar 2021 - 10:36

I remember the day I picked up my DS Lite. Damn that was a sexy machine, everyone wanted to see it and hold it, perhaps even more so than when I got the original.

The DSi was a great piece of kit but in retrospect was not worth buying for what it ended up having.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 21 EmptySat 6 Mar 2021 - 15:35

I know the New 3DS had a few things like Xenoblade and SNES VC, did the DSi have anything good on DSiWare?

I hope the New Nintendo Switch doesn't have exclusive like those (even though rumoured it will) and is just more DS to DS Lite or even Xbox One S to X.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Galactic Nova
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 21 EmptySun 7 Mar 2021 - 0:09

The two I really remember from DSiware were the Eyetoy-like Wario Ware game and Photo Dojo, the fighting game where you took a bunch of photos of someone to make the sprites.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 21 EmptySun 7 Mar 2021 - 9:22

Buskalilly wrote:
Photo Dojo

Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 21 EmptySun 7 Mar 2021 - 10:39

I was expecting Shantae, not whatever that was.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Galactic Nova
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 21 EmptySun 7 Mar 2021 - 21:00

Thanks Cappa! I actually wanted to include that video in my post but couldn't find it.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 21 EmptyMon 8 Mar 2021 - 19:44

So many potential taglines from that one video...
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 21 EmptyMon 8 Mar 2021 - 22:43

There's not much on that NGamer YouTube channel (and it's been left alone for nearly ten years), but there's the odd video that's worth a second look. I'm sure Chris Scullion made more when he was manning the website after the magazine closed though - maybe they're floating around somewhere too.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 21 EmptySat 13 Mar 2021 - 0:41

I thought this is easily one of the best articles put up on Nintendo life.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/03/soapbox_its_time_to_normalise_giving_up_on_games_early

It really sums up what I mentioned on here a while ago that not enough folk replay their favourite games & it's because of the daft reasons we give ourselves of either seeing a game through to the end rather than quitting or the vicious circle of feeling we need to be playing the next new thing.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 21 EmptySat 13 Mar 2021 - 9:43

I definitely don't feel like I need to be playing the next new thing, I think I'm getting better at replaying my old games and I rule out daft reasons for seeing games through. There's just too much good stuff out there for me to be wasting my time on a 7/10, £50 and forty-hour epic when I can get more satisfaction from something that's quicker, cheaper and already in my collection.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 21 EmptySat 13 Mar 2021 - 9:56

I'm awful at replaying old games and didn't even finish Wind Waker HD because I do go on to the new thing. As then I did very much go I've played Wind Waker before and know I love it, let's play this new game and experience.

Seen simlair with long games and why I've basically given up on Witcher 3, sure I could play it for 50hrs or I could play a bunch of games in that time and experience those.

I'm the same with other forms of entertainment though.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Galactic Nova
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 21 EmptySat 13 Mar 2021 - 10:53

I don't necessarily feel the need to play the latest thing right away and be part of the conversation - especially since I quit social media.

That said, there is always a lot of new stuff I want to get stuck into just on its own merit.

With films, I regularly rewatch old favourites- a bit of Schwarzenegger maybe, or something with monsters - but I think the difference is the time investment. I know when I sit down and start a film, it will finish in 90 - 150 minutes and I can definitely watch that new thing tomorrow. Not so with games.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 21 EmptySat 13 Mar 2021 - 13:01

I like to be in on the latest thing, but I also don't tend to struggle to replay quite a few games too. Maybe that'll change a bit once the real world returns...
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 21 EmptySat 13 Mar 2021 - 17:21

The_Jaster wrote:
It really sums up what I mentioned on here a while ago that not enough folk replay their favourite games & it's because of the daft reasons we give ourselves of either seeing a game through to the end rather than quitting or the vicious circle of feeling we need to be playing the next new thing.

I disagree so much with this!

For one thing, I'm a big fan of the finished game.  While you've all seen me dump a bunch of stuff I've tried and bounced off in 'Last Game You Didn't Finish', those are the duffers, or the ones that are duff for me anyway.  There's an enormous feeling of achievement (albeit super-artificial) and catharsis that comes with beating a good game, that's increased if it's a big good game.  It doesn't always happen, especially in good games with duff endings, but I don't think there's a feeling in gaming that can match taking down the final boss of a big old adventure.  

For another, I'm definitely not 'not replaying my favourite games' because I'm busy spending that time on new ones.  I'm not replaying my favourite games because I've played them already.  I've had that experience.  There's new experiences out there to be had, and that's exciting!  Not to mention that some of my previous faves (SM64, Okami) haven't held up well on replay.  There's definitely the odd exception, but on the whole if I'm done with a game, I'd rather go to the eShop for something else than replay something I own.  And if I want the comfort of an existing experience, 'infinite games' like Smash are always available.

For a third, the new and shiny is exciting.  I definitely don't want to advocate constantly chasing the new and shiny, because that costs a lot of money and takes a lot of time.  However: it is a new experience, and there's often a level of hype and excitement around such games as everyone gets their hands on them that's fun to be part of.  Again, it's borderline impossible to recreate that with an old game.  Maybe you can get close to it with a 'GNamer Let's All Play' thread?  Even then though, the people involved are generally going to know what's coming.  It feels to me like it'd be inherently less exciting for those people, although I may be wrong.

So yep, disagree!  This is just me, of course.  I'm not dunking on people who enjoy replaying games, they/you should do them/you; and I certainly understand people who can't be bothered to finish games because they don't get that same feeling of catharsis.  However, the statement I quoted seems quite sweeping: us folk don't replay our faves because we're busy finishing games (or chasing the new and shiny), and that's a daft thing to do.  I'm saying, not in all cases!
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 21 EmptySat 13 Mar 2021 - 18:51

Oh I wasn't saying that one is right and the other is completely wrong as like anything in life having a good balance is key, personally I'm just not keen on the fact that it feels like not many folk play just to play these days & it's just about the never ending race to the next new thing.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 21 EmptySun 14 Mar 2021 - 23:58

I'm the opposite as far as playing the latest thing. I have this thing where I prefer to play all the greatest games that I've missed, whether it's 2 years old or 22 years old. This is mostly because I rarely feel like putting down £40 on a new game (Ghost of Tsushima was the first in a while), but even if money was no object, I'd prefer to tick off all the great games I missed on release. Like, I am currently playing The Swapper, a great little puzzle title that I'd never have bought at the time. Now that I have the money for new games, I think this stems from not having money growing up and relying on the 4 for £20 in Gamestation. I'm also a sucker for reviews and critical acclaim, and couple that with a sale, I turn into a gaming equivalent of my ex in Primark buying a ton of stuff I'd likely live with for a few days anyway.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 21 EmptyMon 15 Mar 2021 - 10:17

The 4 for £20 etc was so good, why I played so many games back then compared to now and even played NHL, NBA etc.

Think now as I have got the disposal income and missed out on the brand new games upto Xbox 360, I'm now all about them and other shiny things like my Quest 2.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 21 EmptyMon 22 Mar 2021 - 17:08

I normally get games about a year or so after they release these days. I'm sure I've said this elsewhere but the only things I get hot off the press are board games and that's because once they're out of print you can't get em.

That almost every game is on an e-store these days means there's no real rush to get anything from my perspective. I make exceptions for things like Monster Hunter, the odd big Nintendo release and some indie games, but I'm generally looking for quality over any semblance of quantity these days.

I have so many games sitting in a waiting list thanks to the PSN subscription that I'll rarely even add the free monthly games to the pile!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 21 EmptyTue 23 Mar 2021 - 11:34

The other thing comes to mind and mentioned it on the podcast and was tweeting to someone about it.

Is now with Xbox which has become my main system you have so much content come to Game Pass including brand new "AAA" games like Outriders not just old games (Bethesda) or some indies till the first party stuff arrives.

That even though both CW & EofGizmo take the piss off my buying as I have bought this year a PSP, Quest 2 for instance but new games it has been three games on Switch and one of Xbox.

Little Nightmares II was the Xbox game and if I had known it was coming to Stadia Pro day one, I wouldn't have bought it, but it was £25 and I finished then sold on eBay for £20.

That now really and even when I get a PS5, it's Nintendo or PlayStation exclusives which takes me back to what I was saying about New Pokémon Snap in the April release thread it's a Nintendo first party game when will it go down in price? Not for a long time if at all that I may as well get right away.

The PlayStation exclusives sure could wait for especially at £70 for some of them, then again I'm just as likely to finish Returnal then sell it on.

Just overall games really I'm getting day one are now sort of those big games like Resident Evil Village, exclusives or can I find a deal as otherwise I'm going to have plenty in my Game Pass sub.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 21 EmptyThu 8 Apr 2021 - 15:13

The Sims 4 is on sale over on Steam right now. The base game is 88% off, £4.19, although they normally charge you about £35 for it.

Almost all of the dlc is 25% off, some 50% off, and a minority at full price.

Even with all those discounts, to buy everything would cost you...

£453.59!

I guess it's been out for a long time, so there is an awful lot of extra stuff you can buy for it now. I know that with Paradox games, for example, they add tonnes of dlc over their game's lifecycle  and I have hoovered up most of the Crusader Kings expansions. I would probably support Mario Kart 8 by just buying track dlc annually, if they chose to ever do something like that too to be fair.

So maybe I shouldn't view this as too weird, but still there's something crazy about seeing it add up to that much.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 21 Empty

Back to top Go down

MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3
Page 21 of 30Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 25 ... 30  Next