Not even JayMoyles' edge is worth this much

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread

Go down 
+13
masofdas
fronkhead
The Cappuccino Kid
Jimbob
The_Jaster
Dusty Knackers
Treesmurf
JayMoyles
beemoh
Balladeer
Crumpy Andy
Axis1500
ZeroJones
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread   The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread - Page 6 EmptyMon 16 Dec 2013 - 22:00

The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread - Page 6 Bth_oscaromgwtf_zps9b9b63fb
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Buskalilly
Galactic Nova
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread   The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread - Page 6 EmptyMon 16 Dec 2013 - 22:12

Grin 
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Axis1500
Vote Thread
Axis1500

PostSubject: Re: The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread   The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread - Page 6 EmptyMon 16 Dec 2013 - 22:48

TW101 and Nintendoland both made my honourable mentions list, but both were slightly too niche to make my top 10.

Nintendoland is an amazing minigame collection, but it is, at the end of the day, only minigames.
TW101 is amazing if you put the time and effort in order to learn a completely new control scheme. Most won't.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread   The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread - Page 6 EmptyMon 16 Dec 2013 - 23:00

I don't get the issue with the control scheme myself. The right analogue stick drawing was quick and efficient.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Galactic Nova
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread   The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread - Page 6 EmptyMon 16 Dec 2013 - 23:24

Ditto to Andy. I found it smooth as you like.
That being said, I don't think the game should be chastised for trying something different. All too rare, these days, that something has a completely new control screen. Even a game changer like portal has standard fps controls.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread   The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread - Page 6 EmptyMon 16 Dec 2013 - 23:49

Nintendo Land might not have made the top 10 without my vote, I really like it. Bounce 
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread   The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread - Page 6 EmptyMon 16 Dec 2013 - 23:58

NintendoLand really guys really,

I like the idea of the meta critic and other links.
Back to top Go down
Axis1500
Vote Thread
Axis1500

PostSubject: Re: The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread   The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread - Page 6 EmptyTue 17 Dec 2013 - 0:42

Buskalilly wrote:
Ditto to Andy. I found it smooth as you like.
That being said, I don't think the game should be chastised for trying something different. All too rare, these days, that something has a completely new control screen. Even a game changer like portal has standard fps controls.

Yep. I love the game. It's just too niche a title to ever gain mass appeal.
This video series on Youtube really taught me a lot about the game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdHbPXNJvVE
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread   The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread - Page 6 EmptyTue 17 Dec 2013 - 7:51

I didn't find the controls too hard! It was just the mission length, camera problems and (yes) stereotypical characters that brought it down for me.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread   The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread - Page 6 EmptyTue 17 Dec 2013 - 8:56

Balladeer wrote:
I didn't find the controls too hard!  It was just the mission length, camera problems and (yes) stereotypical characters that brought it down for me.

Don't forget the cutscenes. I hope they didn't spend long on them, because they're simply not funny at all.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread   The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread - Page 6 EmptyTue 17 Dec 2013 - 10:01

I remember smiling once, so they can't all have been awful; but most of the dialogue was direlogue. The characters did not help with this.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread   The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread - Page 6 EmptyTue 17 Dec 2013 - 12:38

Definitely not. It's an unlikable roster of characters. MadWorld and Bayonetta didn't have that problem, so it's disappointing to see Platinum Games misfire with The Wonderful 101 in that respect.

On the topic of the controls, I was quite vocal about the demo at the time - I thought it was going to put more people off the game than get to buy it. I still think it did, and that's all down to the controls. They're not as nightmarish a few hours in as they seemed to be in that downloadable eShop demo, but I still can't think of The Wonderful 101 without thinking of Kid Icarus Uprising (for an obvious reason).

I just got the impression The Wonderful 101 played like that for the hell of it. Just for the sake of doing something a bit different. I didn't find the way it played all that purposeful - in fact, I'd have been quite happy playing it with the Pro Controller in a more conventional way. Sadly, I'm finding this true of quite a few Wii U games. Hopefully things will improve.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread   The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread - Page 6 EmptyTue 17 Dec 2013 - 13:10

Cap, I think you're right. It would have been easy to have a wheel of powers - like the LEGO games - with maybe a held button press to decide on the amount of the 101 you were going to invest in each power. That we've got used to the controls is a good and a bad thing: there's no need to have that initial barrier to playing the game.

As for Nintendo Land, I've tried and failed to enjoy it three or four times now. It's still on the shelf, just in case, but it sees precious little action these days.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread   The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread - Page 6 EmptyTue 17 Dec 2013 - 18:21

And next!

Sixth Place:

Kicking off the top five, we have...

Fifth Place:
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread   The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread - Page 6 EmptyTue 17 Dec 2013 - 18:24

I remember WW being wonderful back when I played it, albeit slightly annoying in places.  Glad it didn't win, though, just as I was glad that HGSS didn't win the DS vote.  They're both great, but I'd rather see new new games getting the first places.

I doubt LCU would have been for me somehow, but it's nice to see a third-party exclusive cracking the top six.

I reckon I know what three of the top four are going to be, but if there's an obvious fourth it's slipped my mind. EDIT: Derp, remembered it now.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread   The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread - Page 6 EmptyTue 17 Dec 2013 - 19:06

I really don't get the dislike for Nintendo Land as its very good at what it does especially in full on 5 player mode (which I sadly didn't get to experience that much) then we have 6th & 5th placed games which didn't make my list at all.

Also Mas & smurf, wind waker is really your best on wii U so far? Really? Now don't get me wrong WW is a fun Zelda game but to place it above other games that utilise the system better (IMO) is just sheer lunacy.  Cuckoo 
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread   The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread - Page 6 EmptyTue 17 Dec 2013 - 19:14

Glad to see so many good words about Lego City, I've been looking forwards to playing that one.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread   The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread - Page 6 EmptyTue 17 Dec 2013 - 19:31

Lego City Undercover is an outstanding game. Frank Honey is one of the best characters in gaming ever.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread   The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread - Page 6 EmptyTue 17 Dec 2013 - 21:09

The_Jaster wrote:
I really don't get the dislike for Nintendo Land as its very good at what it does especially in full on 5 player mode (which I sadly didn't get to experience that much) then we have 6th & 5th placed games which didn't make my list at all.

Also Mas & smurf, wind waker is really your best on wii U so far? Really? Now don't get me wrong WW is a fun Zelda game but to place it above other games that utilise the system better (IMO) is just sheer lunacy.  Cuckoo 

I thought we were voting for the best game we played on the Wii U, not the game that utilities the Wii U features.  That's a completely different question, ZombiU uses the Wii U features very well but is still a crap game (IMO). Super Mario 3D World barely uses the Wii U features but is a amazing game (IMO). So should I put something like ZombiU above something like SM3DW just because it use the consoles features better. Answer NO.

Also I've voted so far for 4 of the games. I can kinda guess 3 of the last 4.

Used as a example SM3DW not WWHD as I think WWHD actually does use the gamepad in some good ways but we know the game could be done with a normal controller and doesn't really need the gamepad.

Last edited by masofdas on Tue 17 Dec 2013 - 21:39; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread   The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread - Page 6 EmptyTue 17 Dec 2013 - 21:35

I'd actually say Lego City Undercover has both angles covered. Great game that makes great use of the GamePad. Until fairly recently, I felt it was the best advert for the Wii U.

I wonder if anyone voted for Game & Wario, a pish game that makes pish use of the controller it was designed for. Utterly heroic.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread   The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread - Page 6 EmptyTue 17 Dec 2013 - 21:38

I gave it 9th place, out of six. Incredibly, I've played a game on the Wii U I thought worse. The Miiverse game was fun, but that's more down to Miiverse being great than G&W.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread   The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread - Page 6 EmptyTue 17 Dec 2013 - 21:41

I was wondering if you voted 1-6 or placed games were you think they should be like G&W being 9th and only getting 2 points instead of 5 if placed at 6.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread   The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread - Page 6 EmptyTue 17 Dec 2013 - 21:42

Balladeer wrote:
I gave it 9th place, out of six.

Ha! Like it.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread   The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread - Page 6 EmptyTue 17 Dec 2013 - 21:44

masofdas wrote:
I was wondering if you voted 1-6 or placed games were you think they should be like G&W being 9th and only getting 2 points instead of 5 if placed at 6.

For the record, I had a 1st, 2nd, 4th, 7th, 9th, and 10th place.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread   The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread - Page 6 EmptyTue 17 Dec 2013 - 21:55

...don't know if you're taking the piss anymore.  Neutral 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread   The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Wii U First Birthday Vote Thread
Page 6 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next