Not even JayMoyles' edge is worth this much

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Counting Classics on Consoles

Go down 
+10
Crumpy Andy
Jimbob
Dead Lemon
The_Jaster
masofdas
Buskalilly
JayMoyles
The Cappuccino Kid
ZeroJones
Balladeer
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 21  Next
AuthorMessage
Buskalilly
Galactic Nova
Buskalilly

Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 8 EmptyThu 27 Aug 2015 - 22:09

Pokémon Stadium was the game that made me so jealous of the N64 as a kid, so to me they're both classics.
Zero's probably right mind. You couldn't charge £40 for it now.

Also, a tentative YES for Banjo. I'm enjoying it, even if there is a real whiff of the collectathons...
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 8 EmptySat 29 Aug 2015 - 8:14

N64 week ends on 22 classics, a healthy haul.  We move onto the Game Boy Advance now!  I do think this'll be a tricky one, but here are some early-days thoughts:

Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga Y 8-0
Legend of Zelda: the Minish Cap Y 9-2
Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire Y 7-1
Golden Sun Y 4-0
Metroid Fusion Y 7-0
Rhythm Tengoku N 4-1
WWIMM Y 7-0
WWT A 1-1
Fire Emblem A 3-0
FEtSS A 4-0
Castlevania AoS A 3-0
Castlevania CotM A 1-1
Castlevania HoD A 1-0
FF Tactics A 1-0
GSH N 1-2
Mother 3 N 4-1
Advance Wars Y 6-0
Pokémon FRLG N 5-2
MKSC N 3-4
BK Grunty's Revenge N 1-2
Astroboy A 1-0
Mario Golf: Advance Tour Y 3-0
Sonic Advance A 2-0
Konami Krazy Racers A 2-0
F-Zero Maximum Velocity N 1-N
Wario Land 4 N 4-1
Ninja Cop N 1-2
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town A 1-0
Kuru Kuru Kururin Y 2-0
Street Fighter Alpha 3 N 1-2
Metroid Zero Mission A 4-0
Boktai A 2-0
Ballistic: Ecks vs Sever N 2-1
Mario vs Donkey Kong N 2-2
Golden Sun: The Lost Age A 1-0
Klonoa: Empire of Dreams A 1-0
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories A 1-0
Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land N 1-1
Sword of Mana N 1-2

Also a preliminary downvote to all of the Super Mario Advance games, which were ports with Mario Bros. shoehorned in, and to Fire Red/Leaf Green for being not all that special an upgrade from the originals.

Last edited by Balladeer on Mon 31 Aug 2015 - 8:37; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : ZeroVotes.)
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/ Online
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 8 EmptySat 29 Aug 2015 - 8:41

Quote :

Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga
Legend of Zelda: the Minish Cap
Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire
Golden Sun

Yes to all of those & I suggest:

Metroid Fusion
Rhythm Tengoku
WarioWare Twisted
WarioWare Inc mega microgames
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 8 EmptySat 29 Aug 2015 - 9:53

Only 22, but there was some madness like no Conker's Bad Fur Day and you call yourselves Nintendo fans. Looking at the systems so far I would have the N64 with it's 22 games then any of the rest, so far.

Now on to the GBA, I've never been a big fan of it that you might see Abstain a lot from me on this systems classics as most I would of heard of, I gather.  

Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga, Abstain
Legend of Zelda: the Minish Cap, Yes
Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire, Yes
Golden Sun, Yes
Metroid Fusion, Abstain
Rhythm Tengoku, Yes as it was a Arcade game first based on Dreamcast Hardware which doe make it sort of the only Nintendo game to appear on the Dreamcast
WarioWare Twisted, Abstain
WarioWare Inc mega microgames, Abstain

I'm going to put forward
Fire Emblem or Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, I don't know if we would need both but I would Yes both if someone else said them
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow or Castlevania: Circle of the Moon or Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance, Same as FE but Jay might be able to shed some more light on them
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Gunstar Super Heroes
Mother 3
Advance Wars
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 8 EmptySat 29 Aug 2015 - 10:39

mas wrote:
Only 22, but there was some madness like no Conker's Bad Fur Day and you call yourselves Nintendo fans.

Did anyone even suggest it? If not then why didn't you? For the record I think it was great but not sure I'd call it a classic.

mas wrote:
Rhythm Tengoku, Yes as it was a Arcade game first based on Dreamcast Hardware which doe make it sort of the only Nintendo game to appear on the Dreamcast

I wouldn't say that's the reason it makes it a classic. Laughing
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 8 EmptySat 29 Aug 2015 - 10:45

I did but most Abstained on it. I gather due to get coming out really late for the N64 being RARE (pun not intended).

I think the reason I Yes'ed Rhythm Tengoku also is a part of history then as well.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 8 EmptySat 29 Aug 2015 - 11:16

GBA's got a decent library. This should be fun!

Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga - Yes! Fun RPG which should absolutely make it on our list.
Legend of Zelda: the Minish Cap - Yes! Great handheld Zelda title.
Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire - Yes! My personal favourite Pokemon generation.
Golden Sun - Abstain
Metroid Fusion - Yep! Metroid done right: good stuff.
Rhythm Tengoku - Abstain.
WarioWare Twisted - Abstain.
WarioWare Inc Mega Microgames - Abstain
Fire Emblem - Yep!
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones - Yep! Both this and its predecessor are solid Fire Emblem games and important to the series, being the first Fire Emblems readily available in the West.
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow - Yep. Up there with the best Castlevania games.
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon - No. I honestly didn't rate this, nor would I consider it renowned enough to be classic.
Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance - Abstain.
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance - Abstain.
Gunstar Super Heroes - Abstain.
Mother 3 - YES YES YES YES YES PLEASE LET THIS GET IN
Advance Wars - Abstain.

Balladeer wrote:
Fire Red/Leaf Green for being not all that special an upgrade from the originals.

Eh? Laughing

Have you played FR/LG recently? They are absolutely upgraded from the originals in nearly every way - it looks better, plays better, has an actual postgame, includes the Gen 2 and 3 'Mon in the postgame... it isn't just a lazy port with a graphical update but a proper reimagining.

Because of that, I'm putting forward Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green, as well as Mario Kart: Super Circuit.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 8 EmptySat 29 Aug 2015 - 11:30

Thanks Jay on Castlevania's as knew one of them should be in but wasn't sure which one of the three.

Yes both to Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green & Mario Kart: Super Circuit
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 8 EmptySat 29 Aug 2015 - 14:07

JayMoyles wrote:
Balladeer wrote:
Fire Red/Leaf Green for being not all that special an upgrade from the originals.

Eh? Laughing

Have you played FR/LG recently? They are absolutely upgraded from the originals in nearly every way - it looks better, plays better, has an actual postgame, includes the Gen 2 and 3 'Mon in the postgame... it isn't just a lazy port with a graphical update but a proper reimagining.

Naughty I think we both know what would happen if I played them again recently, considering how well I get on with most retro games.

I didn't say they weren't upgrades, just that they weren't special.  It was RB remade in the new style, which required no thought or specialness.  The only real thing that could have been special was the Sevii Islands, which I remember feeling as shoehorned in as they indeed were.  Nothing there to me suggests classic status.  (It didn't help that the game came out at around a similar time as Pokémon XD, a forgotten classic that actually made Pokémon feel fresh again.)

Tallied up the votes thus far.  Lots of abstains from me!  There were a couple of games that I felt were better suited to "cult classic" status, like Rhythm Tengoku and Mother 3 - I think the game has to come out (officially) in more than just Japan for me to consider it a "classic".  

Sorry Jay. Aww! If M3 ever gets an official Western release, it'll be a classic then, I hope.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 8 EmptySat 29 Aug 2015 - 15:19

Balladeer wrote:
JayMoyles wrote:
Balladeer wrote:

Eh? Laughing

Naughty I think we both know what would happen if I played them again recently, considering how well I get on with most retro games.

I didn't say they weren't upgrades, just that they weren't special.  It was RB remade in the new style, which required no thought or specialness.  The only real thing that could have been special was the Sevii Islands, which I remember feeling as shoehorned in as they indeed were.  Nothing there to me suggests classic status.  (It didn't help that the game came out at around a similar time as Pokémon XD, a forgotten classic that actually made Pokémon feel fresh again.)

Tallied up the votes thus far.  Lots of abstains from me!  There were a couple of games that I felt were better suited to "cult classic" status, like Rhythm Tengoku and Mother 3 - I think the game has to come out (officially) in more than just Japan for me to consider it a "classic".  

Sorry Jay. Aww! If M3 ever gets an official Western release, it'll be a classic then, I hope.

I think we're getting into the "are ports classic?" debate again, and to me, FR/LG are the definitive versions of Pokemon Red and Blue.

And yeah, wishful thinking hoping that Mother 3 would get in, especially considering no-one's played the bloody thing. Aww!
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 8 EmptySat 29 Aug 2015 - 17:01

I'm gonna vote, but this might be a bit Abstain-tastic

Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga - Yeah
Legend of Zelda: the Minish Cap - NO - CONTROVERSIAL! NO - CONTROVERSIAL! NO - CONTROVERSIAL! etc.
Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire - Yes, absolutely
Golden Sun - Abstain
Metroid Fusion - Yeah
Rhythm Tengoku - A naughty yes - I've not played the original, but I've seen enough of it to know what it would be like to play.
Wario Ware IMM - Yes yes yes
Wario Ware Twisted - Abstain
Fire Emblem - Abstain
Fire Emblem The Other One - Abstain
Castlevania AoS - Abstain
Castlevania CotM - Abstain
Castlevania HoD - Abstain
Final Fantasy Tactics - Abstain
Gunstar Super Heroes - Abstain
Mother 3 - I've not played it. Not many people here have, But I'm going to say Yes, based on the reaction of everything else, and my love of (now the first two) games
Advance Wars - Abstain
Pokémon Fire Red/Leaf Green - Yes
Mario Kart Super Circuit - No

Hmmm... can I add any? I really didn't play that many GBA games...

Actually, let's got for Banjo Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 8 EmptySat 29 Aug 2015 - 17:07

Jimbob wrote:

Legend of Zelda: the Minish Cap - NO - CONTROVERSIAL! NO - CONTROVERSIAL! NO - CONTROVERSIAL! etc.

Ooh, how come? Also...

Jimbob wrote:
Mother 3 - I've not played it. Not many people here have, But I'm going to say Yes, based on the reaction of everything else

Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 8 D0Y8W
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 8 EmptySat 29 Aug 2015 - 17:12

If you've not played something, and barely anyone you know has played it, and most of the available market hasn't had a chance to play it, and even the people who have played it haven't played a proper approved version of it (stops for breath), how can that possibly be a classic?

Don't get me wrong, I love M3, Jay knows I do - but unless you're using a very different definition of "classic" to mine, I don't see how the heck it counts. Neutral
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 8 EmptySat 29 Aug 2015 - 17:41

I put it forward early as I knew it would come up as how everyone talks about it and the demand for in the west, it's a classic.

On your bases as only 5 people owned a Jaguar, Tempest 2000 isn't a classic.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 8 EmptySat 29 Aug 2015 - 17:45

I've seen people play it - does that count?
Sad

However, I'm going to turncoat a bit here: loads of people in Japan have played Mother 3. Loads of people nowhere would say Atari Jaguar games are classics. Razz
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 8 EmptySat 29 Aug 2015 - 17:50

Ah, don't post up Crying Man 1 Jimbob!  You'll make me feel guilty. Aww! Everyone's got their own interpretations of classicism, hence the thread.  It's all good.

All apart from Mas' argument, which is majorly hypocritical:

masofdas wrote:
R.C. Pro AM - If it was classic I would no more about it, so I'm saying DISAGREE

I know nothing about Tempest 2000! Laughing
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 8 EmptySat 29 Aug 2015 - 17:54

How is that hypocritical, I've never heard anyone talk about R.C. Pro AM or it in till it was the Rare Replay, but I have heard people talk about Mother 3 a lot.

If your on about Tempest 2000 which I brought up, that's in that 1000 games to play before you die which you can checkout in a link in the thread Cappa made years ago now.

Wouldn't that make that game a classic in something like that.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 8 EmptySat 29 Aug 2015 - 18:03

You mean the thread that Fancy Fancy made, and that also featured Max and the Magic Marker? Laughing

As I edited in above, I've never heard of Tempest 2000. I'd wager that several others here haven't either. Perhaps "hypocritical" is too strong a word, but your comparison isn't a great one at all.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 8 EmptySat 29 Aug 2015 - 18:05

I totally forgot about Fancy Fancy, so sorry to him.

You have at least of Tempest right, though.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 8 EmptySat 29 Aug 2015 - 18:06

masofdas wrote:
but I have heard people talk about Mother 3 a lot.

Probably my fault - I could talk till the cows come home about Mother 3.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 8 EmptySat 29 Aug 2015 - 18:08

I'm sure I get my words in too. Would really like an official Mother 4. Sad

masofdas wrote:
You have at least of Tempest right, though.

...Maybe? I Wiki-ed it and I didn't recognise the screenshots.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 8 EmptySat 29 Aug 2015 - 18:11

What really Balla, Tempest has to be one of Atari's most well known games every made.

We are going of track but not knowing Tempest at all is like not knowing Pong, Space Invaders, Pac Man.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 8 EmptySat 29 Aug 2015 - 18:16

Balladeer wrote:
I'm sure I get my words in too.  Would really like an official Mother 4. Sad

Oh, me too. But sadly, Itoi's been on record saying he doesn't want to make an official Mother 4.  Aww!
I hope the fangame is decent enough - I'd hate for it to tarnish the legacy of the series by association. Based on things like this here though, I'm optimistic.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 8 EmptySat 29 Aug 2015 - 18:18

Ach, that's a shame. Aww! At least they don't seem to have stopped the fangame yet. I've got thoughts about Mother games' world design too, but they're something for another thread.

masofdas wrote:
We are going of track but not knowing Tempest at all is like not knowing Pong, Space Invaders, Pac Man.

We are going off track, but not knowing RC Pro A.M. at all is like not knowing Jetpac, Sabre Wulf, Battletoads. Winky Face
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 8 EmptySat 29 Aug 2015 - 18:21

I think it's a tad different Balla as Tempest influenced gaming going forward, not so much with RC.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 8 Empty

Back to top Go down

Counting Classics on Consoles
Page 8 of 21Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 21  Next