Not even JayMoyles' edge is worth this much

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Tired Old Hack

Go down 
+10
gjones
The_Jaster
JayMoyles
fronkhead
Buskalilly
masofdas
Jimbob
Dead Lemon
Balladeer
ZeroJones
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

Tired Old Hack - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 4 EmptySun 16 Oct 2016 - 18:03

That's why I like you Drunka, I think we did have some good chat about his article.

I'm sorry to the forum for my behaviour.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 4 EmptySun 16 Oct 2016 - 19:44

Not going to dwell on this for long, as I don't want to derail the thread any further than it already has been, but I'll say this - personal insults will simply not be tolerated on this forum. Yes, we can butt heads over games and debate till the cows come home, but as soon as the argument turns toxic and hurtful statements get thrown around directed at someone's character, that's when we'll step in. That shite will not fly. That's all I'm going to say on this publicly... let's chat about games again, shall we?

ZeroJones wrote:

It's an interesting one. Chris seems to have gone for the best Wii U exclusives and put multiformat games in the 'There Are Also These Games' section at the end. There's a cool purity to that. Thumbs Up! To my mind, though, if you call your article 'The 30 Best Wii U Games', it should list the 30 best Wii U games, regardless of whether you can play them elsewhere or not. Besides, games like Rayman Legends and Shovel Knight arguably have their best versions on the Wii U anyway.

Agreed with this - I like seeing a best-of list with more weight lent to exclusives over multiformat titles. Props to Chris for that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 4 EmptySun 16 Oct 2016 - 19:55

Why are we even argueing over what someone should be allowed to include in a list of games what they like? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 4 EmptySun 16 Oct 2016 - 19:58

The other side of that coin (to Jay's post - Andy, everyone must agree with everyone, variety is bad, you will be assimilated, and more seriously it raises hopes for more frequent games in someone's favourite franchise if more people like them) is that Nintendo's games are amazing and that they know their own hardware well. Therefore their games (which will account, I'd reckon, for a majority of certainly all Wii U exclusives) will be better than most of the competition anyway.

Actually, that's a big reason why I'm not in favour of the whole 'DVD player market' thing I hear said by Nontendo gamers from time to time (chiefly Gav, a.k.a. Miracle of Sound, on the Podquisition podcast): a world with no exclusives and a choice of machines, all of which have to be able to play all games.  You'd stop getting a Nintendo who knows their own hardware inside-out and can make bloody brilliant games for it, replacing them with a Nintendo who has to cater for the LCD, and I reckon the games would decrease as a result.

There are other reasons too, natch.  Who gets excited about the release of a new DVD player?  (Sorry, drifting wayyyy off topic here. Embarrassed )
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 4 EmptySun 16 Oct 2016 - 20:05

I don't know about that Nintendo's exclusives haven't been that great on the Wii U.

I don't like the DVD thing some want but video games is pretty much the only entertainment medium where you have to buy a certain system for certain games. I can't imagine how it would be taken if Marvel came out and said all our films will work on a Samsung Players.

Andy is right, it's Chris list of games he likes and if wants to include remasters and mainly exclusives that's up to him. It's only 1w months and the Wii U will be 5 years old and we can look back on it then in a vote or something more similar to the Wii and DS.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Galactic Nova
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 4 EmptySun 16 Oct 2016 - 20:08

I think the "DVD player" market, as you describe it, is probably in the future. The thing is, it won't happen until the power of machines has plateaued, and no new developments will noticably improve games. That time is a long way off, 'natch.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 4 EmptySun 16 Oct 2016 - 20:17

Xbox are sort doing it now will be doing it but I think it more like Netflix on how EA and Ubisoft have talked about the future.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 4 EmptySun 16 Oct 2016 - 20:20

I hope that when we reach that plateau, Drunka, we might see some more experiments like Nintendo's bearing more fruit. Hope, not necessarily expect.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 4 EmptySun 16 Oct 2016 - 21:37

With regards to the list, I'd have moved the Zeldas out to the Honorable Mentions list. Just doesn't feel right to put prettier versions of Gamecube games on there, as good as they are. But I guess Resident Evil 4 appeared on his Wii list, although it was released two years later so didn't feel like an old game so much. Twilight Princess appears in the Gamecube, Wii and Wii-U Top 30 lists which seems excessive.

It's a shame stuff like Project Zero and Star Fox Guard were so hard to come by - I'd like to have seen them types of games (ones designed for Wii-U) in there. Saying that, they could be a pile of arse for all I know.

Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 4 EmptyMon 17 Oct 2016 - 6:48

Even we weren't sure about SF0...
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 4 EmptyMon 17 Oct 2016 - 16:58

I've not seen that list, but anybody who's got a Wii U could probably guess at least 80% of what'll be on there. Which is fair enough. All I'm saying is that the quality pool isn't that deep (if that makes sense?).
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 4 EmptyMon 17 Oct 2016 - 17:15

Balla said similar when you got a list with Captain Toad on it, you've got a problem.

SF0 was rather muh and is going to part of a article at the moment called Lucky 7of mine but waiting for FFXV and TLG to come out first before that goes up.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 4 EmptyMon 17 Oct 2016 - 17:18

I think everyones being a little harsh on Captain Toad here, it was a cracking little game! Deserves its place more than some others on the list.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 4 EmptyMon 17 Oct 2016 - 17:25

It was sweet, but small and (for the most part) not all that imaginative. Nothing that really wowed. Two boss fights only. A nice little game that shouldn't be anywhere near a healthy console's Top 30. And I really liked what it was trying to do!
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 4 EmptyMon 17 Oct 2016 - 20:51

I'm with Crumpledethump here: great little game, all the better at its new price point. Utterly gorgeous, surprisingly varied, best amiibo unlockable content ever, and a genuine surprise compared to my expectations. It does deserve its place more than some other games on the list. On a normal console with full - or even decent - third party support, it wouldn't feature in a Top 30. The Wii U isn't normal, though. Aww!
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Galactic Nova
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 4 EmptyMon 17 Oct 2016 - 22:11

I thought Captain Toad was absolutely cracking, and would definitely be up there on a more successful system.

Fight me.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 4 EmptyMon 17 Oct 2016 - 22:20

Tired Old Hack - Page 4 Tumblr_inline_n8dccyaruI1qedeh4
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 4 EmptyMon 17 Oct 2016 - 22:21

Tired Old Hack - Page 4 Hqdefault
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 4 EmptyTue 18 Oct 2016 - 21:21

It's just nice to see Mr. Scullion writing the sort of articles that he should be writing. That was (belatedly) a good read, and I hope you lot are all right and not arguing.

(re-reads article)
WHERE THE FUCK WAS KNYTT UNDERGROUND THE SCOTTISH CU-*banned*
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 4 EmptyTue 18 Oct 2016 - 21:30

Jimbooooooo wrote:
...and I hope you lot are all right and not arguing.

Yep, I'm all good.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Galactic Nova
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 4 EmptyTue 18 Oct 2016 - 21:32

Jimbob wrote:
WHERE THE FUCK WAS KNYTT UNDERGROUND THE SCOTTISH CU-*banned*

I think this is a funnier reference than you realised you were making. . . Laughing
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 4 EmptyTue 18 Oct 2016 - 21:51

Fond memories of the time masofdas actually called me a SCOTTISH CU-*not banned*. What did he say to Jaster, btw? I hope he told him that Leigh Griffiths is a shortarse and that Chris Martin is definitely the way to go.

On-topic: no Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush on the list, but otherwise it's straightforward enough. Was Sonic Lost World in there too? Quality game.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 4 EmptyTue 18 Oct 2016 - 21:54

Martin isn't good enough for Derby let alone Celtic.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 4 EmptyTue 18 Oct 2016 - 22:13

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
Fond memories of the time masofdas actually called me a SCOTTISH CU-*not banned*. What did he say to Jaster, btw? I hope he told him that Leigh Griffiths is a shortarse and that Chris Martin is definitely the way to go.

Gordon Strachan, is that you?

Back to top Go down
Chris Scullion
Ejected into the Lava
Chris Scullion

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 4 EmptyThu 20 Oct 2016 - 22:27

Just noticed all this chat.

Thanks for discussing it guys, I appreciate you still taking the time to read my stuff and debate it. That's what it's all about. Smile

For those maybe looking a wee bit too deeply into why I chose the games I did, it was literally a case of looking at the Wii U library and writing down a list of the games that I'd recommend if someone asked me "I'm buying a Wii U tomorrow, what games should I get for it?".

There was no ulterior motive or anything like that, I just listed my 30 favourite games on the thing! Smile

Thanks again though peeps, got a 30 best Nintendo 64 games article coming in November so I'm sure that definitely won't cause big arguments when I don't put Pokemon Snap in there.
Back to top Go down
http://tiredoldhack.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Tired Old Hack
Page 4 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GNamer Forum :: Gaming Miscellaneous :: GNamer Gaming News-
Jump to: