We've tried beers, they taste like beers.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Metal Gear Series

Go down 
+10
oldschool
Admin
JayMoyles
Cube
The_Jaster
beemoh
Crumpy Andy
The Cappuccino Kid
Buskalilly
masofdas
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Favourite Metal Gear
Metal Gear
Metal Gear Series - Page 7 Vote_lcap0%Metal Gear Series - Page 7 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Snakes Revenge
 0% [ 0 ]
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Series - Page 7 Vote_lcap10%Metal Gear Series - Page 7 Vote_rcap
 10% [ 1 ]
Ghost Babel
 0% [ 0 ]
Sons of Liberty
 10% [ 1 ]
Twin Snakes
Metal Gear Series - Page 7 Vote_lcap30%Metal Gear Series - Page 7 Vote_rcap
 30% [ 3 ]
Snake Eater / 3D
Metal Gear Series - Page 7 Vote_lcap40%Metal Gear Series - Page 7 Vote_rcap
 40% [ 4 ]
Acid
 0% [ 0 ]
Acid 2
 0% [ 0 ]
Portable Ops / +
 0% [ 0 ]
Guns of the Patriots
 0% [ 0 ]
Online / Arcade
 0% [ 0 ]
Peace Walker
 10% [ 1 ]
Revengearce
 0% [ 0 ]
Ground Zeroes
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 10

AuthorMessage
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

Metal Gear Series - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 7 EmptySun 6 Sep 2015 - 23:32

I mentioned this to Andy on skype the other day but I'd love the old games to be redone with TPP controls, I think MGS3 especially would work really well.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Galactic Nova
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 7 EmptySun 6 Sep 2015 - 23:34

1 and 2 would need a pretty big overhaul, as they're made for a top - down view, but yeah 3 and 4 could be phenomenal.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 7 EmptySun 6 Sep 2015 - 23:57

I've played every numbered numbered MGS game almost upon release, so its interesting hearing your thoughts, Jay.

Managed my fourth S rank today (turns out you don't need perfect stealth, Drunka, I reflexed on this one), still looking for that foxhound emblem though.

Behind Thunder Storms, Mist has always been my favourite weather, but whenever the mist descends in the Phantom Pain shit gets real...

I think this is the best open world game I have played. Some have complained there isn't enough stuff in it, and -
minor spoiler:
but I actually like that its not rife with pointless tat. Every side op or main mish has you sneaking, or shooting if you please, but either way (especially if you try do a run without being spotted) its tense. I'm glad the open world gives me some breathers. Also, given that good ol premium gameplay MGS is known for, I'm not getting tired of doing the sneaks. This is a game that plays to its strengths, and is incredibly immersive as a result.

I'm on mission 18 now, and still so pleased that I've only beaten 25% of the game!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Miyamoto
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 7 EmptyMon 7 Sep 2015 - 0:10

@Jay you'll have to play more to find out but I did think it was the sort thing which might be just known due the games age.

Andy said a few posts back that the end game of MGSV isn't great well now I'm on missions like 43 trying to unlock 45 & 46 and it's become a bit of a chore. There has been some great bits still.

I can't remember what the controls were like in 4 weren't they sort in between what MGS and MGSV control like.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 7 EmptyMon 7 Sep 2015 - 10:13

Drunkalilly wrote:
Just so you know, what I was saying earlier about MGS2 having a big twist that can be spoiled: that was just referring to Raiden. I was really hoping you'd go in thinking it was Snake all the way so I could get that reaction from you.

Aw, okay. Yeah, I think it's a little tough to avoid that twist considering the hubbub around his inclusion in the game. Still, it was interesting to find out why Raiden was essentially the main protagonist instead of Snake.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 7 EmptyMon 7 Sep 2015 - 14:59

Muss wrote:
Managed my fourth S rank today (turns out you don't need perfect stealth, Drunka, I reflexed on this one), still looking for that foxhound emblem though.

You can get away with just being quick sometimes as that gives you a lot of points, for example I ran the same mission a couple of times last night to get a few extra mission tasks done & even though I got 2 alerts I S ranked on the grounds that I beat the mission in just over 3 minutes.

mas wrote:
Andy said a few posts back that the end game of MGSV isn't great well now I'm on missions like 43 trying to unlock 45 & 46 and it's become a bit of a chore. There has been some great bits still.

I seen a good point on twitter that this game is really designed to be played over a number of months and that we are all rushing through it.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Galactic Nova
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 7 EmptyMon 7 Sep 2015 - 18:22

JayMoyles wrote:
Yeah, I think it's a little tough to avoid that twist considering the hubbub around his inclusion in the game.

Well, you'd think the same is true of Darth being Luke's father...

The_Jaster wrote:

I seen a good point on twitter that this game is really designed to be played over a number of months and that we are all rushing through it.

That makes a lot of sense to me. Much as I resent every second I have to spend doing anything other than play metal gear, I'm glad I'm getting to savour it over a good long while. Reminds me of what the Midnight Resistance lads said about GTA IV making more sense if you mucked about with your cousin between missions.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 7 EmptyMon 7 Sep 2015 - 23:01

I think it says it all that missions are also called episodes, you could basically approach it a lot like a tv show if you wanted to.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 7 EmptyTue 8 Sep 2015 - 17:13

The_Jaster wrote:
I think it says it all that missions are also called episodes, you could basically approach it a lot like a tv show if you wanted to.  

I understand your point, but I can't remember the last TV Show that I haven't binge watched. This is gaming Netflix for me, although I'm having a break today...maybe
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 7 EmptyTue 8 Sep 2015 - 18:13

Ha, yeah Muss hit the nail on the head there. If I play something at a slower pace I tend to just forget what happened and enjoy it a lot less.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 7 EmptyTue 8 Sep 2015 - 19:21

Muss wrote:
The_Jaster wrote:

I understand your point, but I can't remember the last TV Show that I haven't binge watched. This is gaming Netflix for me, although I'm having a break today...maybe

andyman949 wrote:
Ha, yeah Muss hit the nail on the head there. If I play something at a slower pace I tend to just forget what happened and enjoy it a lot less.

Oh I've binged on this game too as the mission structure also gives it that "just one more mission" feeling and before you know it you have played about 10 more, also as much as I like netflix as it put me onto a lot of shows I would have missed otherwise it has ruined tv in some ways as you no longer have that weekly anticipation any more not to mention people will be discussing a full series rather than what happened that week.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Miyamoto
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 7 EmptyTue 8 Sep 2015 - 19:36

My thoughts are here as I've finished the game

Also I'm updating my Top MGS games

1) Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (Substance version on Xbox, please)
2) Metal Gear Solid V, Includes both games as one
3) Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
4) Metal Gear Solid
5) Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes (I think it's different enough)
6) Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2, not 3DS)
7) Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
Cool Metal Gear Acid
9) Metal Gear
10) Metal Gear 2: Snakes Revenge

Now after playing MGSV and talking more on the series again, I am looking back on MGS3 more fondly that I wa thinking of moving above Twin Snakes or level with it all the rest below it could be any order really as not given much time with them. The biggest one missing is of course Peace Walker which I do really need to play.

But I am as I own it tempted to start Twin Snakes.

Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 7 EmptyWed 9 Sep 2015 - 1:04

Drunkalilly wrote:
JayMoyles wrote:
it feels more like MGS1 - you've got your rogue's gallery of crazy villains and it feels like proper Metal Gear.

Cheeky

Goddammit. Laughing

So, I've beaten MGS2!

Rambling thoughts:

Can't wait to start MGS3 now, especially as it's widely regarded to be even better than MGS2.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Miyamoto
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 7 EmptyWed 9 Sep 2015 - 9:20

Sounds like you are becoming bit of a MGS fan, Jay.

Be interested what you think of MGS3 as from the Cast, you'll know me & Muss not huge fans of it but like Drunka said about the view of it. I don't know if you can pick original view and HD to see the difference.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 7 EmptyWed 9 Sep 2015 - 14:14

Nah, I'm a huge fan of MGS 3, I just put it behind 1 and 4. Presumably Jay will play the updated version with a working camera so my main problem won't affect him. A big factor as to why I personally put 4 ahead is that I really thought it was the last one, and it was such a fitting conclusion to a series I've adored since childhood that it really resonated with me. Also the online was cool and there are some top notch moments, particularly towards the end.

To be honest, my order of preference could very well be entirely rearranged if I played through them all again, when I played 2 I just had no idea what was going on by the end so I didn't like it for that (also Raidan). Regardless, overall I love them all.

Last edited by Muss on Thu 10 Sep 2015 - 0:34; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Galactic Nova
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 7 EmptyWed 9 Sep 2015 - 15:02

Mas, you know Snakes Revenge isn't the real Metal Gear 2? It was the kojima - less NES sequel. It came out and wasn't great, which is why he went on to make the canonical sequel Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Miyamoto
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 7 EmptyWed 9 Sep 2015 - 16:07

How Drunka was talking it didn't seem you were much of a fan, but I think we had the same issues with it Muss. And now looking back I do think it was better than I remember.

Yes Drunka I know that, but that's the Number 2 I played hence why its on my list also its on the poll as can only get so many on it and as Snakes Revenge came out here & on the NES went on the poll over Solid Snake maybe I shouldn't of put likes of Online / Arcade on the poll.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 7 EmptyThu 10 Sep 2015 - 1:29

Absolutely becoming an MGS fan, Mas. I'm somewhat rushing through the series, but I'm loving it thus far. As for Muss's point about an updated camera, I was pleasantly surprised with the level of camera control the game affords you compared to the first two. What was the camera like in the vanilla game?

I was getting ready to come on here and moan about the stamina system in MGS3 being really restrictive and unfair in how quickly it depletes, but apparently Snake was riddled with stamina-sucking leeches... Brilliant. Laughing

Started MGS3 today and played a fair whack of it - up to an area with electric fences, but I got caught (still naff at Metal Gear) and turned in for the night. I'm enjoying this so far - The Boss is a ridiculously interesting character, young Ocelot is hilariously inept and a massive thumbs up to whoever at Konami thought up that dude who controls bees. BEES. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVIwoHwlnrU&ab_channel=matthewfro1234

The cast of villains looks as mad as ever, so I'm really excited to take them on. One thing I'm not enjoying - even though it's an improvement - is that the guards aren't as easy to fool in this one than the first two games. I miss the "what was that? ...hmm. Must have been nothing" days. Either that, or I'm just crap at this. Laughing
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Miyamoto
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 7 EmptyThu 10 Sep 2015 - 8:13

It had the same camera as MGS1&2.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 7 EmptyThu 10 Sep 2015 - 15:26

Jay wrote:
Started MGS3 today and played a fair whack of it - up to an area with electric fences, but I got caught (still naff at Metal Gear) and turned in for the night. I'm enjoying this so far - The Boss is a ridiculously interesting character, young Ocelot is hilariously inept and a massive thumbs up to whoever at Konami thought up that dude who controls bees. BEES.

I honestly think 3 has the best boss battles in the entire series, I wish I had finished the game so I could have seen them all but when I last played it a number of months ago I just got really frustrated with a particular section I'm at and my issues with the controls on top of that only made it worse for me.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 7 EmptyThu 10 Sep 2015 - 17:19

JayMoyles wrote:
Absolutely becoming an MGS fan, Mas. I'm somewhat rushing through the series, but I'm loving it thus far. As for Muss's point about an updated camera, I was pleasantly surprised with the level of camera control the game affords you compared to the first two.

Yeah as Mas said, vanilla 3 had the camera of 1&2, which was clunky as hell in some of the more open spaces where you really needed a first person/over the shoulder view to tell what was going on given the lack of radar. It also made some of the boss battles a pain.

The_Jaster wrote:
I honestly think 3 has the best boss battles in the entire series

I agree with this. There are quite a few bosses and they're all of the highest quality, with the exception of
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 7 EmptyThu 10 Sep 2015 - 17:34

Muss wrote:
JayMoyles wrote:
Absolutely becoming an MGS fan, Mas. I'm somewhat rushing through the series, but I'm loving it thus far. As for Muss's point about an updated camera, I was pleasantly surprised with the level of camera control the game affords you compared to the first two.

Yeah as Mas said, vanilla 3 had the camera of 1&2, which was clunky as hell in some of the more open spaces where you really needed a first person/over the shoulder view to tell what was going on given the lack of radar. It also made some of the boss battles a pain.

Yeah, I figured the deeper level of camera control was to offset the lack of any radar, besides your limited radar items. I can imagine the game being a bit of a pain without that.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Galactic Nova
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 7 EmptyFri 11 Sep 2015 - 8:22

I first played Snake Eater on 3DS with a circle pad pro, so it played a treat with slick twin - stick controls. Since then I've learned about the vanilla version and it just doesn't make sense to me. I can only guess Konami either rushed it out or demanded the game look like it's predecessor. #Fuckonami

But generally, I ♡ MGS3. And the Boss especially! I was hoping Kojima would give her her own game before he quit.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 7 EmptyFri 11 Sep 2015 - 13:02

Muss wrote:
JayMoyles wrote:

On the other hand there are definitely some areas that feel too easy with free camera, and actually look better with the more cinematic fixed camera view (some of the early jungle areas especially).

Fixed camera definitely felt more like a contest of learning enemy placement/patrol routes in order to stealth.

Muss wrote:
The_Jaster wrote:
I honestly think 3 has the best boss battles in the entire series

I agree with this. There are quite a few bosses and they're all of the highest quality, with the exception of
Spoiler:

But HE CAME BACK FROM SPACE

Volgin is great just for the whole tree frog trick, and wearing the Raiden mask.
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 7 EmptyFri 11 Sep 2015 - 15:16

Muss wrote:
On the other hand there are definitely some areas that feel too easy with free camera, and actually look better with the more cinematic fixed camera view (some of the early jungle areas especially).

Yeah, I played a fair chunk of this again yesterday and The Fear was a pushover. It was so easy to track his movements with the free camera - I barely lost any health fighting him.

A question to you lot: so, at the docks area when The Boss rolls The End out in his wheelchair and he's sitting there sleeping - are you meant to kill him there? See, I left the area once his life bar popped up to go back and nab some goodies I'd missed and when I came back, he was gone. I wondered if I was meant to pick up the sniper rifle first and off him that way. Is that just an optional way of taking him out or have I missed the boat with him?[/quote]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Metal Gear Series
Page 7 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next